Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP & Wing recommendations for recreation diving?

Guppy
    I started with the DRIS combo..... Hog Steel Plate, DRIS "Trianta" wing (Donut 27lb), light monkey harness and Highland STA / cam straps. Talk about a hodge podge of brands but totally awesome. While I do own an AL plate now ( generic no name ) I take the steel plate traveling. I really don't care about 4 extra lbs in my suitcase. I care about having perfect weighting and trim while diving. I dove with Navy for the week so he can tell you if I'm exaggerating or not. There's nothing like diving a balanced rig in swim trunks in 85f water in the Bahamas. Only monkey diving is better.

The aluminum plate is my warm fresh water tool of choice. I often dive 85f lake water in swim trunks and I'm simply overweighted with the steel plate. Throw on my 3mil and I need the steel. Throw on my drysuit and I need the steel plate and steel tank(s). I also have a doubles wing for my twinset configurations.

Barracuda
    Images
    I made the switch to BPW this summer and I really like it. The folks at Scuba Toys were extremely helpful. They asked me the type of diving I do, type exposure suit used (wet or dry), single or double tank, and how much weight did I use. With their help I went with the Dive Rite Transplate harness, 16# weight pockets, Hog aluminum plate, and Hog 32# wing. Locally I dive dry so I need enough lift for that. For warm water vacation in my 3mm wetsuit I use 8# and the wing has much more lift than I need, but I really can't say I noticed any drag. It has less drag than my old BC had.

Ask the folks at Scuba Toys to put together a package price. You will be very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMO Scuba View Post
    Ask the folks at Scuba Toys to put together a package price. You will be very pleased.
    +1 on this. I'm living in Dallas right now. The closest scuba shop just happens to be ScubaToys. So I drop in there all the time. They will usually put together a package from what they have in stock but they have pretty much everything in stock. I've actually found things in the store I didn't see online. So just call them up and ask them to put something together. I put together a package from the website then went into the store to buy it. When I got there they did a bit of mix and match and came up with something a lot better than I initial put together for only $50 more. I am totally happy with them.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    We should get together and I can set you all up and let you try it before you buy.

dkh6070 is actually in Georgia. It would be a 14 hour drive to Cedar Park. Even Dallas is probably too far (13 hours). I was thinking he would call ScubaToys on the phone and see what they could put together. If there is a good Tec shop in his area, he could go there and try on some gear but I was suggesting that he call ScubaToys on the phone and see if they can put something together for him and ship it.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    What if you mounted tanks horizontally and opposed. Would that be viable.
    Let me quickly add a disclaimer. That I know absolutely nothing about back packs. I would really like to try one though. Some pretty savvy guys are using them.

Is it a good alternative for warm water recreational diving? I am sort of a minimalist. I dive a Zeagle silhouette right now and love it.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    1.jpg 2.jpg

Both photos are on BlackBeard Cruises in the Bahamas with photos taken by Devil Diver. I'm in a steel plate, AL80 and no weight belt with a 27lb wing. This is what we call a balanced rig in that if my wing failed I should never be more then 5lbs negative. I can just swim the rig up.

3.jpg

Same config but now with an AL plate since fresh water needs less weight. Other divers have commented that I almost look "naked".

4.jpg

Now with a steel plate and AL 80 twinset in a drysuit. The same platform is used for all diving so regardless of the situation it fits my needs and everywhere is right where I expect it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information