Thread: Smaller regs for young female diver

Grouper

Smaller regs for young female diver

I've got a 10yr old daughter who is about to begin her SCUBA training (officially). She's been through the PADI and SSI books with me, so the class work should pose no problem for her (I made her learn the tables too ).

She already has all her gear except for her regs. I've had her try my 2nd stage (SP G250V), and it looked a little big, even with a smaller mouthpiece. I have looked at Aqua Lung, Oceanic, and SP. How do Mares and/or Hollis compare in size/weight? I'm looking to spend around $500-600, and want something she can use for a long time. We are heading to a few more shops next week to see what they have to offer, but was looking for opinions of those who are willing to share, specifically, those with smaller divers.

Grouper
    And before anyone starts up the "too young" or "don't push a child into your hobby" tree, she's looked forward to turning 10 for several years now, just so she can join her mom and I on our trips. She has enjoyed snorkeling in the ocean from the age of 3. She swims year round on a travel team, and is very comfortable in the water.

Images
    My 10 year old uses miflex hoses and a US Divers micro reg.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Aqualung Mikron or Apeks Flight are among the smallest/lightest of the 2nd stages available.

http://www.aqualung.com/us/gear/aqua...item/11-mikron

Black/pink version features a smaller Comfo-Bite™ mouthpiece designed for smaller mouths, and a detachable silicone bridge which fits across the upper palate
    http://www.aqualung.com/us/gear/apek...item/28-flight

Mikrons are $500 list, the Apeks something over $600.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalman View Post
    And before anyone starts up the "too young" or "don't push a child into your hobby" tree, she's looked forward to turning 10 for several years now, just so she can join her mom and I on our trips. She has enjoyed snorkeling in the ocean from the age of 3. She swims year round on a travel team, and is very comfortable in the water.
    Are you kidding? Who amongst us wouldn't be totally stoked to have a 10 yo that is interested in diving? To be honest, the only reason I didn't post earlier was I really had no idea what reg would work - I use jetstreams, not quite 10 yo friendly. I'm glad she has a dad that will look into it. Good on ya, Digital man!!!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

The Scubapro regulators are only slightly heavier than most other regulators. I believe they are around 275g. You might find some which are 260g to 280g but that isn't really significant. You'd have to go for carbon or titanium. The titanium often have issues with nitrox and require more expensive cleaning. The carbon regulators will tend to be well under 200g but first, second and octo will run you around $800 to $1000 for something good.

Maybe a good regulator, like the G250V, but put a swivel and/or miflex hose on it. A lot of the newer regulators are coming with miflex hoses now. Drop by a shop and have her try one out.

Or you could get her a Poseidon XStream. They are only 160g for the second stage and really good regulators. But like the carbon regulators, they aren't cheap.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    Images
    Mares makes some pretty small regs. She Dives line is pink too!

TadPole
    My kids (12 & 10) use the edge regulators that we got at scuba toys. They are perfect. Don't break the bank and breathe great! They even have color options. My daughter of course had to have pink and my son stuck with the default blue.

Administrator "Forum Admin"
    ST-Forum Mod
    The Edge Epic is a fantastic regulator for any diver. Its priced right and performs amazingly. They aren't the smallest out there but they are pretty light and with the swivel and flex hose, they are just perfect the little guys. Besides with underwater displacement the Edge shouldn't feel that large anyways. I think it is the perfect beginners regulator, with quality and performance you would never need to replace it.
    Thanks,
    Joey

Scubatoys Product Manager
    1609 S. I-35 E
    Carrollton, TX 75006
    972-820-7667
    joey@scubatoys.com
    www.scubatoys.com
    Like us on
    Facebook.com/Scubatoys
    For deals, news and Discounts!

Thread Information