Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afrin

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by divingyogini View Post

I have severe allergies and swear by the saline nasal rinsing. This seems bizarre at first, but if you think about it - the congestion is in your nose, so it makes sense to flush out the nasal passages to relieve the congestion or to remove the allergens that are causing you to react. I use a neti pot for it:
    http://www.bytheplanet.com/ingr/ingr025300.cfm

It looks weird, feels even weirder at first, but eventually you get use to it and it works really well.
    I've seen a few posts now about the neti pot, so it must be something good. I'm going to order it and give it a try. I use the regular Ayr kind that you can buy in the drug store now.

Guppy
    My wife does the same thing when allergies are bothering her.

Theep

Barracuda ST-Forum Mod dallasdivergirl's Avatar
    My doctor gave me a prescription of Afrin with ladican (sp?). It works really well but I will only take it when absolutely necessary. My headache will go away immediately.

99% of the time the saline rinse works immediately.
    Sparky the ninjita
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

http://beautybelow.com/

Wow I didn't know there was a Lidocaine Afrin....I bet that does work well....but a numb face would be a little strange.

Barracuda ST-Forum Mod dallasdivergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Smith View Post
    Wow I didn't know there was a Lidocaine Afrin....I bet that does work well....but a numb face would be a little strange.
    Actually it's a spray so it only numbs the sinus cavity. I have a very deviated septum (all of my ent's have been impressed at the angle) and when I am congested I can grab my nose between my eyes and "wiggle" it to relieve the pressure. When I do use the spray I just hit the left side (the one that the nose is digging in on) with a blast and the numbing relieves the "touching" pain almost instantly. I can have headaches for months on end from sinus issues. One of the best things I was get Sinus Survival. It is a wealth of knowledge and facts. I used to take several courses of antibiotics a year and it's been two years since I have last taken any more pills.
    Sparky the ninjita
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

http://beautybelow.com/

Neti advice

Quote Originally Posted by caroln View Post

I have severe allergies and swear by the saline nasal rinsing. This seems bizarre at first, but if you think about it - the congestion is in your nose, so it makes sense to flush out the nasal passages to relieve the congestion or to remove the allergens that are causing you to react. I use a neti pot for it:
    http://www.bytheplanet.com/ingr/ingr025300.cfm

It looks weird, feels even weirder at first, but eventually you get use to it and it works really well.
    I've seen a few posts now about the neti pot, so it must be something good. I'm going to order it and give it a try. I use the regular Ayr kind that you can buy in the drug store now.
    Here's a bit of advice. We like to use a Pyrex cup to mix the water and salt in first. We set our microwave on high for about 30 seconds to heat the water in the Pyrex, then add the salt (about 1/3 teaspoon). The salt is to make it a similar ph to your mucous. The water should not be hot, but just warm. Then after mixing, pour it into the neti, as it's hard to mix in the pot. Also, REALLY tilt your head sideways when you do it so the water drains out the other nostril. Have some tissues next to you, as it is messy, but it works really well.
    Co-author of Yoga for Scuba Divers

Grouper

Here's a bit of advice. We like to use a Pyrex cup to mix the water and salt in first. We set our microwave on high for about 30 seconds to heat the water in the Pyrex, then add the salt (about 1/3 teaspoon). The salt is to make it a similar ph to your mucous. The water should not be hot, but just warm. Then after mixing, pour it into the neti, as it's hard to mix in the pot. Also, REALLY tilt your head sideways when you do it so the water drains out the other nostril. Have some tissues next to you, as it is messy, but it works really well.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm used to the messy effect since I'm already doing a different rinse. With the one I use now, I have to boil the water, make the mix, and then let it cool. The microwave is much more convenient. I checked the drugstore near work and they sell the neti refills, but not the neti pot. Looks like I'll have to order it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information