Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afrin

TadPole

Afrin

Anyone use Afrin or any other nasal spray before diving?

Grouper Founding Member
    I used too a long time ago, but I wouldn't recommend it. The problem is if you use it too much you get a rebound effect. In other words, your sinuses get worse. I use a single 30mg Sudafed, if I need it for diving. I usually need it here in Texas, but not in the Caribbean. You might check with your pharmacist on what they would recommend for you.
    RonC.

Grouper
    Also if you do use something get it long lasting. If you go down and the meds wear off then things can go south pretty quick. If you ever get a reverse squeeze you will know it.

Barracuda
    I had a reverse hit me once on the way up from a deep dive. Felt like someone had driven a nail into one of my sinus cavities...but after awhile it wore off and the pain subsided. If you have allergy problems you can get a script for the sprays...they work pretty good and last longer than the over the counter versions. It's not something I'd recommend a steady diet of, but here in south Texas there are times of the year when it's hard not to, especially during the cedar season.
    NAUI Instructor, NAUI Trimix Diver

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I take sudagfed before every dive and I keep some extra in my save a dive kit. It works pretty well.
    Never Underestimate....

OW, AOW, NITROX

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by mm_dm View Post
    I had a reverse hit me once on the way up from a deep dive. Felt like someone had driven a nail into one of my sinus cavities...but after awhile it wore off and the pain subsided. If you have allergy problems you can get a script for the sprays...they work pretty good and last longer than the over the counter versions. It's not something I'd recommend a steady diet of, but here in south Texas there are times of the year when it's hard not to, especially during the cedar season.
    They aren't fun at all. I friend of mine had one in a tooth, or at least the tooth area. She said that she would rather had been shot. They do goa way but it is something that I could do without.

yeah reverse blocks suck, you don't want to go there - much worse not being able to come up, than not being able to get down.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I used to use Afrlin and Sudafed when I was instructing. It's hard to bail on dives when a class is counting on you and it's better to be open than congested. Even so, it's not something I would recommend. IF you HAVE to make the dive, it's an option, but like others have said, there's some serious issues to consider. The bounceback sucks and reverse squeezes can totally blow.

I do carry both Afrin and Sudafed in my save-a-dive kit and when I travel, but it's really a last resort.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Grouper
    I use a saline nasal spray before diving. It's not medicated so there's nothing to wear off during the dive, but it does help clear out any bad stuff in your nose as well as keeping your nasal passages moistened. I also rinse out my sinuses with a saline rinse the morning of a dive. This was recommended by my ENT who is also a DAN doctor. I have pretty bad allergies and haven't had any issues following this routine.

I second that

Quote Originally Posted by caroln View Post
    I use a saline nasal spray before diving. It's not medicated so there's nothing to wear off during the dive, but it does help clear out any bad stuff in your nose as well as keeping your nasal passages moistened. I also rinse out my sinuses with a saline rinse the morning of a dive. This was recommended by my ENT who is also a DAN doctor. I have pretty bad allergies and haven't had any issues following this routine.
    I have severe allergies and swear by the saline nasal rinsing. This seems bizarre at first, but if you think about it - the congestion is in your nose, so it makes sense to flush out the nasal passages to relieve the congestion or to remove the allergens that are causing you to react. I use a neti pot for it:
    http://www.bytheplanet.com/ingr/ingr025300.cfm

It looks weird, feels even weirder at first, but eventually you get use to it and it works really well.
    Co-author of Yoga for Scuba Divers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information