Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you night dive?

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images

Why do you night dive?

I was asked last week "Why do you night dive, aren't you afraid?". I had never REALLY thought about the answer before but I had just done a dive with the most bio-luminescence I had ever seen. It was visible while people still had their lights on. When the lights were off it looked like kids waving sparklers on the 4th of July. I have seen other incredible things like monster parrotfish easily over 3' long and had nurse sharks push me out of the way while I was trying to line up a shot at a brittle star. But I think my favorite thing is how calm it is. It seems quieter under the water to me, I know my breathing slows down. My SAC rate is much better on night dives than during the day.

Why do you night dive? What is it that makes you get in the water after the sun goes down? You know there are sharks out there don't you?
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Its a whole new world. The night creatures come out that you will never see during the day.

I've dove some waters that it was day time and you wouldnt have known if it was day or night.

Guppy
    Images
    Seeing the different creatures plus it seems most of what you do see is calmer probably due to 90% less divers in the water. With the exception of a few first time night divers, most night dives are composed of divers that genuinely want to be there and share in the serenity.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Megalodon
    Images
    It's water, I dive. You mean I can't dive at night? I shouldn't dive at night? Why dive at night? Because it is totally cool and you see things at night you'll never see in the day. Bioluminesence is only the tip of the iceberg. Howabout how harliquinn shrimp litterally glow when when you light them up? I see a lot more octopi at night, definitely see more lobsters and in some cases HUGE lobsters. Day fish sleep, night fish get active. It's totally wicked!!!!!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    What Navy said!
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    It's a whole different perspective. I can echo what everybody has said, but to add to it. During the day you are focused on what is all around you, but when you are night diving you are focused on what you can see with your light. Here in the Midwest the day diving at times can be nothing but silt and low viz. However, at night you still have the silt issue, but your focus is changed because all you see is what your light emits. It changes your perspective and actually seems like a much better dive.

In nice blue water, one of my favorite night dives is Bari Reef in Bonaire. The Tarpon and Grouper come out and use your lights to help feed. Nothing like a 8' Tarpon pushing you out of the way.

If you like Night Diving, try a Dawn Dive sometime. Get in the water at dark and be on the reef as the sun comes up....totally awesome experience watching the reef creatures wake up.

Snagel

Images
    I remember one night dive. I had illuminated a particularly beautiful fish that was floating near the reef; when, suddenly "pow" it was gone in a flurry of fins and scales. I have no idea what got it and I felt so bad for causing it to become some one's late night snack.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Megalodon
    Images
    One of the coolest night dives I did was during a full moon. Flashlight? We don't need no stinkin' flashlights! Clear vis and a totally surreal dive!

Megalodon
    Images
    BTW, the first few days of the Blackbeards cruise '15 will havea full moon!

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    In nice blue water, one of my favorite night dives is Bari Reef in Bonaire. The Tarpon and Grouper come out and use your lights to help feed. Nothing like a 8' Tarpon pushing you out of the way.Snagel
    Ahhh... I completely forgot those big bucket mouths coming out of the dark at you. Definately a great reason to night dive!

Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    BTW, the first few days of the Blackbeards cruise '15 will havea full moon!
    Full moon, clear water, great friends, extra rum punch. I see trouble...
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information