Thread: Choosing a tank

TadPole Founding Member

Choosing a tank

I was thinking of purchasing a couple 100HP tanks so it would fit in the tank holders on boats. Someone told me to instead purchase the 120 HP as they are taller and the 100's are shorter than the AL80's that I would be setting up beside of and would be harder to get into my BC with it sitting lower than the 80 AL's. Anyone have any thoughts concerning this?

An AL80 is typically 26" long, give or take an 1/8 of an inch. An HP100 is going to be around 23" long and an HP120 is going to be around 28" long. They are all 7.25" around.

I've never seen the height of a tank being an issue for a tank holder on a boat. If you set up all your gear, put the tank on a bench then slip into the gear you might find the HP100 a little lower. However, getting your buddy to help you into our tank should make this less important. What is more important is that carrying a tank which is shorter than an AL80 makes it easier to carry. The HP120 will be longer; it might be too long and drag on the ground. Having the tank swing from my hands with my arms straight down is easy. If I have to bend my elbows and hold the tank up (an HP120) then it will be REALLY hard on my triceps. I'd hate a long walk with an HP120. I really don't like AL80s now that I have used HP100s.

Additionally, the shorter HP100 means it works for shorter people. It won't hit your legs as you are swimming. The AL80 might be okay but the extra 2 inches on the HP120 might make it hard to use if you aren't really tall. Also, if you need to lower your tank to make it properly balanced, you can do that with an HP100. You might not be able to with an HP120.

Finally, the 120 will have 20 cu.ft. more of air in it. If you don't need the air the extra weight will affect your buoyancy. Even with a short fill the HP100 has more air than a properly filled AL80. That should be plenty for most people.

Bottom line, I like the HP100 more than the HP120. I would suggest renting an HP100 and HP120. Try them out and see which you like. Or if you can, find someone with each tank and see if they'll let you try them. The shop I used to work at sold all size tanks. If I was going to buy one from them, they were happy to let me try them out, from rent stock, before buying.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    What kind of diving are you doing? How deep and how long? How much air do you want? How tall are you?

I don't really like 120's myself because they are tall. I own 120, 100, and 119 tanks. I really like the 119's they they are 8" so can be a problem in some boats but that's what bungie cords are for. That and mine are normally setup as doubles. 100's are really nice. Good weight, not tall and 20 cuft more then Al 80's. If you need more air then 120's may be for you. If your short though you may want to really look at your needs and what will works for you. 120's are tall tanks.

I like the HP119 as well. It is shorter than an AL80 and it holds 123 cu.ft. of air. So it has more air than an HP120. The downside is that it is 8" diameter rather than a 7.25" diameter. All the boats I have been on (Ontario, Canada) use bungee cords. So the 8" diameter is not a problem. If you have a boat with holders specific to 7.25" tanks than you will have trouble with the HP119. The boats I have been on in the Texas area all store tanks under the bench or bungee cord the current tank. So I haven't seen it be an issue down here either. But I do a lot more shore diving here and not too much boat diving.
    This signature left intentionally blank

What is the benefit or PRO's of purchasing tanks? AL 80's. I know the cons of visual, hydro inspections etc.

I was thinking of purchasing some tanks to do local diving. I have only dove with a dive group where tanks and weights were always included especially on trips. I also researched the Gulf of Mexico wreck trail and most boats do not include tanks with the trip so, I thought it may be less expensive and easier if I had my own. As I looked into it, typically it cost $10 for 1 tank fill in my area. You can rent a filled tank for $10. I realize you can get multiple fill cards to reduce price etc so i will say roughly $7 to fill a tank. It is only $3 per fill which would only be an extra $6 or $9 per day and I don't have the purchase cost, need to keep inspections up on the tanks etc. it will take roughly 60-80 dives per tank to break even on a cost perspective.

Am I missing some benefit to owning? Having your tanks pre-filled and ready to go at the last minute would be one I guess.

Thread Information