Thread: Mask Fittings issues

TadPole

Mask Fittings issues

I am currently going threw my OWD padi course So far I have tried a atomic venom mask that polished off my mask clearing skills and gave me on sore bump between my brows. And I also tried a no name mask similar to the atomic frameless masks. It was too small and leaked a lot but was what I amd looking for that wont hurt my unibrow area(well if I grew hair there). My question is I have really nailed it down to the atomic frameless 2 mask. I did not see where it come in small, med large. Is it a one size fits all? I was hoping my dive shop had one to rent but hey don't. ho do you go about trying one till you find one that fits good.

Thanks Scott

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    There is no one size fits all, you will need to try until you find make/model that fits you. Not sure who the LDS is or what kind of selection of masks they have but they should be able to help you find what you need.

It sounds like the Atomic Venom may have been too tight, it's pretty common for people to think "make it tighter-no leaks" but this actually makes the problem worse and can be very uncomfortable.

Congrats on your OWD and welcome to the forum!
    DevilDiver

TadPole
    Thanks. My LDS told me not to buy anything till later. Rent everything for a little while till I find what I like. So they are working with me they just don't have but maybe 15 masks for sale and another 12 to rent. So I may have to go south a bit and see what the dive shop on there has. I am glad too they talked me out of buying the venom mask. It did not matter if I could suck any of these mask to my face when trying them on. Once in the water running tight or loose where I could easily pull the mask away from my face a good 4-6 inches and they still leaked. I was starting to think I will just have to live with leaks but I have read that a good mask for you will not leak.

Barracuda
    Images
    One must when trying on a mask is to have a reg or snorkel in your mouth. It changes the shape of your face enough that a well fitting mask without it might leak like crazy when your mouth is full.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Thread Information