Thread: PADI AOW and Deep Diver

TadPole

Question PADI AOW and Deep Diver

Hi All,

I am looking at looking at putting together a holiday for 2016 the Florida, including some diving. My partner has decided that she would like to progress her training, specifically doing the PADI Advanced Open Water and the Deep Diver is on her wish list. She did her OW 3-4 years ago and has been diving semi regularly since then in both warm and cold water.

Having not really been exposed directly to PADI training for about 15 years (I started diving in the UK so all my training since then has been done with BSAC etc) I was wanting some advice.

How long does this generally take to complete?

I have seen that the AOW is basically 5 "experience" dives incl. Navigation, Deep and 3 others. A read online seems to suggest 2-3 days.

The PADI Deep Diver I understand it increases her qualification depth limited to no-deco diving from 30m(90ft?) to 40m (120ft?) and is done over and additional (I think) 4 dives?

So is there a downside in doing the courses together? Would it still be 9 dives or would the deep dive for the AOW count towards the Deep Diver?

Any suggestions how long it will take to do both?

It's not a case of wanting to rush through it, more me starting to think about the logistics how long we would need to be in place x as we want to do a bit of travelling around as well.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Grouper
    Images
    Check the PADI website but if I am not mistaken the AOW is the cert that increases her max depth. I would just get the AOW then do some deeper dives.

Shark
    If you are still deciding on a shop, I recommend Ocean Divers. www.oceandivers.cm

They can book you a room at the hotel next door, when you sign up for the class.

First class operation, IMO.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Barracuda
    Images
    Clernix is correct. a couple of years ago my brother I ( both BSAC & PADI TRAINED ) wanted to dive on some wrecks in the red sea. We were told to get the AOW from padi to do them as our BSAC was from the 70's. It took us one weekend at Clear Springs with our LDS. No real big deal.

Images
    AOW can be completed in a weekend. There is some book work that can be done ahead of time. When I went through it we met on a Wednesday at the shop to do the book work and then met up at the quarry on Saturday and Sunday to complete our 5 dives for the AOW.

What is the motivation for getting the Deep Water Certification on top of the AOW? Once you have AOW you can then "legally" go to the 130' level and most wreck diving operations are good with this.

If you are simply wanting to take good courses to be a better diver, I would suggest after OW take the AOW. Then I would look at Rescue Diver.

Snagel

TadPole
    Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

My understanding was that the depth progression was (with corrected meter to feet numbers this time!):
    Open Water 18m/60ft
    Advanced Open Water 30m/100ft
    Deep Diver Speciality 40m/130ft

Her desire to do the deep diver is partly to make her a better diver but also partly due to our travel insurance policy excluding anything where the diver is diving deeper than their qualification permits. So while most dive centres will let her go deeper than her current 18m limit that has to be balanced against the potential for it to invalidate her travel insurance. As a result this is mostly a concern if we are diving in the US, so there is a certain degree of ticking boxes behind the thinking as well.

Barracuda Founding Member
    PADI AOW recommends 100' limit. AOW can be done over a weekend. Three dives one day and two the other day. The order will depend on the specialties and the instructor. Buoyancy is always the first dive and Deep is the first dive of the second day. Otherswise it will depend on the instructor.

How long will you be on vacation. I wouldn't want to spend my entire time doing training dives.

Images
    Thanks for the clarification....it shows you can always learn something on these forums. I had it in my mind that the AOW "allowed" you to dive to the 130' level. Not true....wonder how I missed that one. I think I've been bad a time or two and violated this.

Snagel

Thread Information