Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dive flag and float

dive flag and float

Just found out that Oklahoma law requires a dive flag to be 24" by 20" with a 4" white stripe. My dive flag is only 20" by 16". Last time my dive club went to Lake Murray they actually got hassled about the size of their dive flags. So I'd rather just get a float with the proper size flag.

Does anyone know of somewhere in the Dallas area I can get a float and flag where the flag is 24" by 20"? Or is this a standard item in Oklahoma dive shops?

Thanks.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Just found out that Oklahoma law requires a dive flag to be 24" by 20" with a 4" white stripe. My dive flag is only 20" by 16". Last time my dive club went to Lake Murray they actually got hassled about the size of their dive flags. So I'd rather just get a float with the proper size flag.

Does anyone know of somewhere in the Dallas area I can get a float and flag where the flag is 24" by 20"? Or is this a standard item in Oklahoma dive shops?

Thanks.
    I got mine at Scuba Toys.. Depending on what you have you may just need the larger size flag.
    The whole set up wasn't that expensive.
    Just tell them you're diving Murray, they'll know exactly what you need. OK is the only state requiring the larger flag that I'm aware of.

KO

Thanks KO. I checked out the website and didn't find anything but was planning on popping into ScubaToys tomorrow morning and see if they have anything.

Grouper
    Images
    Ok dive flag laws also say that you can fly either the diver down or alpha flag. I would bet that most of the boat owners in OK don't even know what the alpha flag means.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Dropped by ScubaToys today and had a look at what they had available. The only thing with a flag big enough was their Deluxe Float Kit but they wanted $90. I normally spend $30 to $50 for a float and flag. This is double the price. I figure someone will bring a float with the proper size flag next weekend. Maybe if I like the diving next weekend I'll think about dropping $90 for a float kit but for now I'll just dive with friends who have a proper sized flag.

Barracuda
    Images
    I would bet you could pick up fabric for a couple of bucks and, if you don't sew, get an alteration shop to make 2 fast seams for a couple of dollars more. Problem solved for less than $10.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

I can actually find a flag that is big enough for $10. The problem is getting a float big enough to mount the flag on and some way to mount the flag. I also need it by next Friday. Working full time and having commitments after work means I don't have a lot of time to make a solution. At some point I'll probably find the time to make a flag which fits on my existing float. My hope for next Friday is that someone will have a float and flag I can 'borrow'. Long term solution would be to get a plastic flag which will slip over my existing float. I can use a wire coat hanger to keep it stiff.

Guppy
    Images
    I dive at Murray a lot and 90% of the flags are smaller than the legal size. This is the first I have heard of anyone being talked to about the flag size. Dive Pros in Lawton Ok. had the legal size flags unless they happen to be sold out. They were around $45 but that was a few years ago. Next weekend looks like a muddy proposition with all of the rain.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

This is encouraging. Someone from my dive club warned this could be a problem. I was assuming they had been hassled when they went there last year. Hopefully this is a bad assumption and my current dive flag is fine.

Guppy
    Images
    Why doesn't the club buy the $90 flag and when a group goes to Oklahoma they take it.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information