Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stuck Zipper

Shark
    Now, why is the zipper stuck, exactly? If there's a piece of fabric wedged in it, soaking it could make it worse. I've found that for most zippers I've used, sliding my thumb between the source of the stuck fabric (the zipper flap, an article of clothing, etc) and the zipper itself, and then pulling it away with one hand while pulling the zipper down with the other usually does the trick.

Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to get enough salt water exposure to cause that kind of stick, so can't help with that
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Now, why is the zipper stuck, exactly? If there's a piece of fabric wedged in it, soaking it could make it worse. I've found that for most zippers I've used, sliding my thumb between the source of the stuck fabric (the zipper flap, an article of clothing, etc) and the zipper itself, and then pulling it away with one hand while pulling the zipper down with the other usually does the trick.

Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to get enough salt water exposure to cause that kind of stick, so can't help with that
    This was a very nice, top of the line, dive bag that I picked up at an estate sale. The zipper was encrusted obviously from taking it on the boat and putting soaking wet dive gear in it.

I checked and there was nothing stuck in the teeth. Soaking it in warm/hot water seemed to work the best. I also picked up two BC's and the insides of the bladders were also encrusted with salt. I dismantled all the dump valves and the inflator valve, soaked them and ran warm water through each BC for a couple of hours. Now they are like new. I bet there is not 10 dives on each of the BC's The Mares Dragoon runs $567 new on LeisurePro and SeaQuest Raider about $350 new. I couldn't believe someone would let there dive gear get in that sort of shape.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    I checked the zipper & nothing is in it (colth ect) it was just stuck. No salt I could see. I think being red it might of thought it resembled a confederate flag and needed to go away?? who knows but thanks for all the suggestions.

Images
    I should be getting my McNett Zip Care Liquid Zipper cleaner and lubricant,tomorrow. I can't wait to see if it works. I made airplane reservations for COZ this evening. I will make my hotel reservations tomorrow. Nothing like planning ahead.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Images
    I have seen a bag of gear in similar condition that was due to one of the divers getting bent pretty bad. Getting the diver to a chamber was the only priority and the gear never got rinsed. Several years later they wanted to dive again and the gear was understandably corroded.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Images
    Okay, Amazon has not shipped my zipper lube....!@#$%^&
    I did get my hotel reservations made. The Park Royal is full so I am going back to my trusty Casa Del Mar.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Got the Zip Care. The bottle (2 oz) was about half full and the covering over the top of the bottle was loose. Don't know if it leaked or not; but, I expected a full bottle. I have used most of it on 15 or 20 zippers I lubed. It seems to work okay. I guess I will have to use the zipper over the next few months to see if it was worth the purchase. It was $6 bucks on Amazon. The applicator top has a little brush on it and it does make it easy to apply especially to those big zippers on dive bags. I used it on a couple of boat dive bags as well. I don't think it will dissolve any salt. As it stands today. I would not purchase it again. Maybe I will change my mind in a couple of months after I have had a chance to see if it really works.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information