Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completely lost on what dive computer to buy

Megalodon
    Images
    The only thing I don't like about the Petrel 2 is I have the Petrel (1). As an entry level computer, it would work and be a good computer. However, whether Tec or Rec, having an understanding of gas loading and decompression theory is of benefit to get more out of the Petrel. I agree it is a great computer. I started using mine 2 years ago and really, REALLY missed it when I left it at home and had to dive my older VR3. The biggest difference between the Petrel and the Petrel 2 is the integrated compass which I've seen in action and fell in love with at first sight.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    I own an Atomic Cobalt, 1 Oceanic Atom 3 (wrist mount),2 Oceanic Pro Plus 2's, a Mares Nemo, a couple of Mares Pucks, A US Divers Matrix and a Scan 4 and a US Divers Monitor II. My favorite, by a large margin is the Cobalt and I like to back it up with the Atom on my wrist.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    The first piece I bought after the basics was a wrist computer. I figured that I could use the wrist computer with whatever rental gear came along in my travels. Now I keep a wrist unit because I have a couple regs I use depending on the dive. Best advice might be to find one that works for the diving you intend to do with an eye on progress. Good luck and enjoy.
    Never Underestimate....

OW, AOW, NITROX

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wxboy911 View Post
    The first piece I bought after the basics was a wrist computer. I figured that I could use the wrist computer with whatever rental gear came along in my travels. Now I keep a wrist unit because I have a couple regs I use depending on the dive. Best advice might be to find one that works for the diving you intend to do with an eye on progress. Good luck and enjoy.
    That's pretty good advice. For some apps a wrist is good; but, for me I like a console. Something that sucks up against me and I don't drag it. I don't care for a wrist as it gets in the way when I am doing video or photo stuff. If I have it on my arm I tend to bang it on the boat when boarding. A lot of my friends use a wrist though and they love it. Like I said I have a Cobalt sucked up against my chest with a re-tractor and a little bitty Mares Nemo sport on my wrist and most recently ( as in my last COZ trip ) I have been using an Oceanic Atom on my wrist. I love the Atom; but, it is a bit big as a backup. It's more like a watch than a wrist mount though.

I think you are going to have to play around with both to settle on one you like and one that works for you. We all dive a little bit differently.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wxboy911 View Post
    That's a good point I hadn't considered. I don't rent so it's not a problem for me; but, if you rent then swapping out an Air Integrated can be a pain.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    What I did was buy an entry level wrist computer. After diving for a while I found I preferred looking at my wrist rather than the SPG so I stuck with wrist computers rather than moving to a console. I've now got an AI Mares Icon HD Net Ready 4.1 and totally love it.

The entry level computer goes in my BC pocket in the extremely unlikely chance my Icon craps out on a long trip. I did lose the charging connector for the Icon on a 2 week trip to Bonaire and rented a computer for the last 2 days of diving just in case. Fortunately the Icon battery held through my last dive.

+1 on not buying a lot of expensive gear right off. I bought a BC in addition to the computer because I wanted to train with what I would be using. I already had fins, mask, and snorkel. After I certified I started adding gear. Regs & wetsuit next.

I found that the inexpensive gear worked perfectly fine for me and with the money I saved I could afford to spend more on travel. I eventually retired my Cressi XS2 2nd stage and got a Hollis 500SE mainly for the side exhaust. I have not been inclined to upgrade any of my basic level equipment for the "state-of-the-art-whizbang" latest fad.

There just isn't orders of magnitude difference that justify the price for top end stuff. Unless you are doing technical, ultra deep, under ice, cave, or some other specialized type of diving you simply don't need the high priced equipment. For rec diving basic equipment is fine. Making sure it fits properly is far more important.
    Last edited by Charon; 06-09-2015 at 10:14.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I love the Oceanic ProPlus console. Huge numbers, easy to read, easy to use. The last few years, my close up,vision is getting worse. I appreciate the large numbers.

I also wear a citizen watch on my wrist in warm water. I like the watch for a quick glance at depth,. but I like the computer for everything. I also like the built in compass.

If you are diving cold water with a thick wetsuit, think about how big that strap has to be to get around your wrist and glove. I can't use my watch in cold water. It won't fit over my glove and 7mil suit. I only use much console in cold water.

Oh, and I wear my citizen hyper aqualand every day, 24-7.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information