Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member - Hello All

TadPole

New member - Hello All

Hi there,
    My name is Gary, nickname Bugs, living and diving on the island of Roatan these last eight years.
    Looking forward to seeing what is going on in the rest of the world and perhaps answer questions about life and diving here.
    Have a great dive day.
    B

Welcome aboard Gary. Never been to Roatan.
    This signature left intentionally blank

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Welcome aboard Gary. Never been to Roatan.
    There is no better time to plan than now! Check out the town of West End here on the island (not to be confused with West Bay). It is a small village of dive operators on the leeward end of the island. The area is a marine park/reserve and sheltered from 90% of the rough weather. Great viz, minimal currents, abundant life (and nightlife). Just a fun place to visit.

Sounds like an interesting place. Where would I stay if I went there?

Megalodon
    Images
    There are a lot of places. Several All inclusives that cater to divers

Coco view: ( http://www.cocoviewresort.com/ ) Turcoise Bay http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/ ) and Anthony's Key Resort ( http://www.anthonyskey.com/ ) are a few that I've heard good things about. Cocoview is on my radar for either next year or the year after.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Hmm, Roatan in November might be an option. I can fly there for $80 using points. I keep saving up for a drysuit then something comes up and I don't get one. I was planning on a drysuit in November. No drysuit, go to Roatan instead.

Now I just have to find a dive buddy to go with me.

Megalodon
    Images
    Don't need a dry suit in Roatan....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Sounds like an interesting place. Where would I stay if I went there?
    There are a ton of options! Certainly the All-inclusives (and more) mentioned by navyhmc, and if you want to seriously dive your brains out, Cocoview is the spot, but it is the West End area for me. Small dive community, kicked back atmosphere, amazing dining (all inclusive is not in your best interest here) and night life too. Where to stay depends entirely on your budget as there are hostels and mansions, with everything in between. Diving is easy with most shops doing three dives a day. The reef has about 40 moored dive sites, and is just about 200 yds off shore so most return for surface intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Don't need a dry suit in Roatan....
    That's the choice. Buy a drysuit or go to Roatan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    There are a ton of options! Certainly the All-inclusives (and more) mentioned by navyhmc, and if you want to seriously dive your brains out, Cocoview is the spot, but it is the West End area for me. Small dive community, kicked back atmosphere, amazing dining (all inclusive is not in your best interest here) and night life too. Where to stay depends entirely on your budget as there are hostels and mansions, with everything in between. Diving is easy with most shops doing three dives a day. The reef has about 40 moored dive sites, and is just about 200 yds off shore so most return for surface intervals.
    Yeah, I was looking at the links from Navy and saw that CoCoView had unlimited shore diving. Why is August 29th to January 8th the low season?

TadPole
    I would call the slow season from Labor Day (US) to about Thanksgiving. Business is usually pretty robust over the holiday season here in West End. Then a little slow until around the first of February when the cold weather brings people south.
    Yes there is unlimited shore diving at Cocoview, and it is one of the few places set up for it on the island. Most all diving on Roatan is from boats. Cocoview is on the south side of the island which is the windward side, and usually a bit rougher. It is also secluded, only reached by boat, so when you are at Cocoview, you are at Cocoview. For the record I've stayed there three times myself, and visited for an evening recently. It is a quality operation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information