Thread: A new

Megalodon
    Images

A new

Zeagle Eagle posted this in the "What made you happy" thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsPdBWqZ394

I felt that it was intriguing enough to give it it's own thread so as not to totally hijack WYH.

A few other articles on it:
    http://tech-ticker.com/scubus-s-plan...a-diving-mask/

http://www.tuvie.com/scubus-s-the-wo...a-diving-mask/

I started to look at it a little closer, trying to access my more skeptical side so as to keep the "THAT is so COOL!!" in check. I have to since I did that Sea Voice cool buy in '82.

My skeptical side can see several problems: 1. With the light right where it is, any silt in the water is going to make it so your shining high bems in fog. 2. No integrated computer. 3. No integrated AI comuter. 4. I don't want to augment my reality, I want to dive. There's a reason for dive slates and hand signals - to make you look at all the cool and pretty stuff around you, not carry on a conversation - that's what the surface interval is for. 5. Didn't Zeagle Eagle just buy a mask with a HUD in it? So, this can't be "The World's First Underwater HUD". 6. The Acoustic wave technology is far from perfect in subs with their present technology, wonder how they've been able to perfect it in miniature?

What are your thoughts.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

I want one since it's got one of those new-fangled "depthometer" things...

Oops, looks like it didn't go so well:

$4,830USD

raised in 2 months
    2% funded
    0 time left

$200,000 USD goal
    Flexible Funding

Campaign Closed This campaign ended on January 9, 2015

Grouper
    Personally, I don't want anything mucking up my view. It's very easy to glance at my wrist (Mares Icon Net Ready 4.1 with AI) when I want to know something. I almost always dive solo so the communications is a waste for me. Also wouldn't both divers have to have this mask to communicate?

Images

HUD Mask

It's my understanding you can communicate with the tender boat as well as a buddy or two. That would be nice. I did a dive for the discovery channel in 19 ought something or other. It was on the wreck of the Tokai Maru and the Comerant, both WW wrecks sunk by torpedoes just feet apart. The regional director of PADI guided the dive and gave a historical narrative during the dive. I learned things about the wreck that I would have never known. Amazing stuff this technology.
    I can't remember who made the comm gear. I just remember it was full face. It would be exciting to try this new mask to see if it will add anything to the diving experience.

Yes, I did just buy the Oceanic Datamask with HUD technology. It's basically a complete Oceanic computer on a small screen inside the mask. I don't get it until next week; so, I can't say much about it. I do know it's a bit heavy until you get it in the water and then you don't notice it. It is computer interface-able, just like most of the new dive computers out there. I have heard no mention of any "viewing" problems yet. I will give a report as soon as I get it in the pool.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    As far as the "messaging" capability of the Scubus mask, I have those preset messages on my text messaging and never use them. I think they would be useless on a dive mask. Can you imagine being out of air or some other emergency and then trying to find "Help Me- I am out of air" on the mask? Was that button one and then twice on two or was that.........

I am with Navy on the built in LED light. Now if it got my cell phone calls and messages on the screen, that might be useful.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    They sure spent a lot of money on the video production. I am not surprised they are not getting the funding they wanted.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    It's my understanding you can communicate with the tender boat as well as a buddy or two. That would be nice. I did a dive for the discovery channel in 19 ought something or other. It was on the wreck of the Tokai Maru and the Comerant, both WW wrecks sunk by torpedoes just feet apart. The regional director of PADI guided the dive and gave a historical narrative during the dive. I learned things about the wreck that I would have never known. Amazing stuff this technology.
    I can't remember who made the comm gear. I just remember it was full face. It would be exciting to try this new mask to see if it will add anything to the diving experience.

Yes, I did just buy the Oceanic Datamask with HUD technology. It's basically a complete Oceanic computer on a small screen inside the mask. I don't get it until next week; so, I can't say much about it. I do know it's a bit heavy until you get it in the water and then you don't notice it. It is computer interface-able, just like most of the new dive computers out there. I have heard no mention of any "viewing" problems yet. I will give a report as soon as I get it in the pool.
    You were on those dives???? Man, I hate you, admire you and even place you in a near-diving deity status at this point. I'm sure that was totally cool. Talk about Bucket list material. You are da man ZE!

Images
    It's funny how I got to go. I was hanging around the scuba shop trying to pick up an instant buddy when the history channel crew called for some more lights. Pete the owner asked me if I would take the lights down to the boat for them and I said I would only if I got to go on the dive with them. There was no one else around to take the lights so they reluctantly said okay....one of my favorite dives.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Megalodon
    Images
    Just goes to show you, "It Was Meant To Be!!!!" Congrats!

Images
    I also got to do Jelly Fish lake in Palau. It's not a dive; but, a snorkel But, I gotta' tell you it's the coolest snorkel I ever did. We were in the lake for hours and hours. Here's what Wiki had to say about diving it:

The anoxic layer extends from about 15 meters (49 ft) below the surface to the bottom of the lake. The oxygen concentration in this layer is zero. The hydrogen sulfide concentration rises from about zero at the top of this layer to over 80 mg/liter at the bottom of the lake. The top three meters of this layer contains a dense population of bacteria, at least one species of which is a purple photosynthetic sulfur bacterium. This bacterial layer absorbs all sunlight so that the anoxic layer below the bacterial plate is dark, but transparent. Hamner estimated the visibility to be about 30 meters. The anoxic layer also contains high concentrations of ammonia and phosphate which are almost completely absent from the upper layer. The anoxic layer is potentially dangerous for divers, who can be poisoned through their skin. This risk is mitigated as scuba diving equipment is not allowed in the lake, thus limiting the depths to which individuals may dive.

You could actually feel a tingling in your skin if you snorkeled down to 10 or 15 feet. I got some of the most awesome video.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Thread Information