Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scuba Regulator Repair and Maintenance

Images

Scuba Regulator Repair and Maintenance

I am toying with the idea of taking a regulator maintenance and repair course. Does anyone have any "advice" on where to take such a course, how long does it take, how much does it cost. I only plan on doing my own regs. I don't want to do it for anyone else. Too much liability.
    --Zeagle Eagle

I'd apprentice under the guy who repairs regulators at the shop I worked at. Obviously apprenticing under Norbert in Richmond Hill, ON, Canada isn't an option for you but maybe you can find a shop that does in-house regulator repairs and see if the guy doing it will let you 'help' them.

When I last looked into doing this another option was getting factory certified. That would require you to actively work at a shop and the shop to sponsor you going to the factory training.

Whether you pick someone to apprentice under or you take a course, learn to service your regulator. Some regulators require specialized tools to be able to get them back together. Without the correct tool it can be anywhere from difficult to impossible to repair some regulators. Some old school repair guys know how to make their own tools or they third party stores which sell the tools.

If you are interested in a good general book on regulator repair check out Vance Harlow's book on regulator repair at http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html. Something to get you started before you start working with someone else.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    I called my local scuba shop. They teach a course. They have 2 master technicians. What's the chances of that happening?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    I checked out Vance's book. Damn it's pricey. Almost $100 bucks. Cheaper to take the intro course.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Okay, off to the pool to see if my regs still work after playing with them.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    I called my local scuba shop. They teach a course. They have 2 master technicians. What's the chances of that happening?
    Make sure the course they teach is a real regulator repair course. PADI has an Equipment Repair course you can take but it isn't going to teach you how to service your own regulators. It will give you a big picture overview of how different regulators work and how to take care of your regulators (rinse them after a salt water dive). It will not teach you how to buy a service kit and rebuild your regulator. http://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/pad...ialist-course/.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    I checked out Vance's book. Damn it's pricey. Almost $100 bucks. Cheaper to take the intro course.
    Vance's book is like the book. If you are thinking about learning about all the different kinds of regulators and how to repair them, how to check the intermediate pressure (multiple ways including old school tricks), etc. then Vance's book is the book.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Make sure the course they teach is a real regulator repair course. PADI has an Equipment Repair course you can take but it isn't going to teach you how to service your own regulators. It will give you a big picture overview of how different regulators work and how to take care of your regulators (rinse them after a salt water dive). It will not teach you how to buy a service kit and rebuild your regulator. http://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/pad...ialist-course/.

Vance's book is like the book. If you are thinking about learning about all the different kinds of regulators and how to repair them, how to check the intermediate pressure (multiple ways including old school tricks), etc. then Vance's book is the book.
    Thanks SD. It is a cross between the PADI course which teaches you how to clean your stuff; but, it also teaches me how to maintian and repair my own reg. Not in depth, just a starter course.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Back from the dive shop. Turns out they only teach how to clean and maintain. Just like you said.
    --Zeagle Eagle

If you buy/own Hog regulators they teach a 1 day class on how to completely rebuild them. It's thru their dealers and one of them often teaches the class one day during the dive shows. Robert in LA http://shop.scubatude.com/Other-Training_c14.htm and Jim Lapenta in PA http://www.udmaquatics.com/courses.php do.

I think it's actually a TDI course and there's a requirement for having nitrox plus any sort of technical certificate. And you rebuild your reg during the class. And then dive it to get the certificate.

When Chris Richards owned Hog he set it up thru them. Probably someone in the DFW area that teaches it also - I think it's under $300.

Hogs are made by ODS or one of the other overseas mfr's so I've seen at least two other regs that use the same valve body, some of the DiveRite/Dive Gear Express models look practically identical and there's another one being sold under a private name thru a shop in L.A.
    Others have posted similarities to some of the Tusa regs also.

Images
    That's a great idea Steve. However, I am set on regulators right now and I can't see buying another one just to take a course. It would be nice if I could buy a used one and then take the course.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information