Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS Scuba V Weight Pouch

Grouper
    Images

XS Scuba V Weight Pouch

I just bought this from Scuba Toys. Has anyone used it before? I dive with a weight belt and back plate. I don't really want to put the weight pouches on the hip belts of the back plate harness.I thought I would give this a try. I dove with a cave diver in Punta Cana and he had a solid piece of lead mounted to he back plate. This seems to be very similar.

Even with 7 lbs on my back plate I would still put around 6-7 lbs on belt. If I had to ditch losing the 7 pounds should make for a relatively controlled bail out.

Megalodon
    Images
    The good: They do work well, they add the weight on the mid-line and keep your trim near the same.

The bad: You will definitely notice the added weight when you're gearing up.

The Ugly: It will add to the turtle effect especially if you dive doubles.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    When I'm wearing 7mil of neoprene on cold dives, I move five pounds of weight. I have a single pouch that is attached to an old tank strap.. I attach it to the top of the tank. This really helps me swim horizontal when wearring a lot of wetsuit and a hood.

In my shorty, I don't need the extra weight up top.

I like the weight up top, it makes me a bit nose heavy, so I swim a little head down attitude. Makes it nice when investigating critters and stuff near the bottom. Very easy to put my head down, fins up, and not stir up the silt.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Grouper
    Images
    I just googled turtle affect and found nothing. I have a bunch of images in me head.

First time I tried diving doubles I turtled. Instructor had a shorter torso and put a v-weight on his plate. I put the doubles on, got in the pool and tried to level out. I still remember going horizontal then my feet kept going up, the tanks pushing against my shoulders, head going down until I flipped right over. There I was stuck on my back. I just couldn't get myself back to horizontal. I was like a turtle stuck on its back. Instructor had a good laugh. Took all the gear off, removed the v-weight, tried again and it was much better.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    Images
    Ha! I guess there is more to diving doubles than just strapping them on.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clernix View Post
    I just googled turtle affect and found nothing. I have a bunch of images in me head.
    SD888 gives a good definition. Doubles are heavy!!! With all that negative weight on your back, it tends to want to roll you over. With time, it gets better as you learn the limitations of roll and pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clernix View Post
    Ha! I guess there is more to diving doubles than just strapping them on.
    A lot more! There's valve drills to learn, since the modern manifold has two posts - one on each tank and usually an isolater valve, you need to learn to be able to shut off one of the regulators if there's a leak and the isolater if there's an issue with either tank. Find some dark side divers and tag along.

Grouper
    Images
    The cave guide I used gave a little preview with his rig. He was diving doubles with the set up you menitoned. He was talking about a drill in complete darkness with a simulated air leak. Finding the leak by touch then securing the valves properly. Gave me a new respect
    Last edited by Clernix; 08-04-2015 at 17:23.

Megalodon
    Images
    There is something about doubles that draws us to them like moths to a flame... I don't know what it is, but I used to dive doubled HP119s just for the amount of gas I had with me and could do some real long NDL dives but as I got older, I switched to Side mount as I didn't need to do the valve drill. But I will say I enjoy diving doubles - Makes me feel like Mike Nelson!

Barracuda
    Images
    I used to dive doubles in the early 70's but didn't use a wet suit. Only one valve with a J reserve.using a calypso reg. no depth gauge unless you count my rope with a lead weight and knots every ten feet &just my watch. Didn't have a double hose reg so I was only diving half Nelson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information