Thread: Tell me about CoCo View Roatan

Barracuda Founding Member

Tell me about CoCo View Roatan

title says it all.

I've heard only good things. Give me specifics if you've been there.

Favorite dive sites, best DM's to go out with.

Anything to avoid.

Thanks

Guppy
    Great dive destination. All dives are super. All DM's will go very slow and show you lots of small stuff. There are tons of small critters here and it takes a sharp eye to find them. I highly recommend CoCo View. Best for divers that just want to dive, dive, dive.......

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by comet24 View Post
    title says it all.

I've heard only good things. Give me specifics if you've been there.

Favorite dive sites, best DM's to go out with.

Anything to avoid.

Thanks

The place is as close to perfect as you can get, IMHO.
    You are assigned to a Boat for the week. Each boat has its own Gear Storage room which is docked right in front of it. YOUR Boat crew, Captain and a DM, will carry your BC and tanks to boat, for you each day and set them up. YOu only need to bring your other gear on boat. The DM will know your name, your skills, your needs by the end of Day 1. DM will point out anything you ask to see, will let you dive to your skill level. Every dive will be led away from boat, then return to under the boat with the first diver gets low on air. The rest of divers can stay down as long as they want, until the 60 minute limit. This limit is so everyone can get back for the meals on time.
    First dive is out to a reef. Dive is as I described.
    After that dive, everyone back onboard, the boat will return to the resort but will stop at either of the two reefs nearby. Divers will go on solo dives here and return themselves to shore whenever they are ready. Seriously, some of the best diving you can do, take yoru time, tour around the reef at whatever level you want, stay as long as you want, just don't run out of air. LOL You exit the water right at the resort and walk to dive gear area around the corner, take off your tanks... and there are showers and rinse tanks for each boat group. Take off your wetsuit, hang it on the line. Dry off, go to your room or straight to the Lunch area.
    After lunch, there is set time to be back on boat... repeat all above.
    First dive to a nearby reef, dive led by DM. Second dive is dropoff to the other reef just off the resort.
    Return at your own pace... dress for dinner.
    You can grab tanks and do night dive from shore if you want. Many people do.

Best DM... all of them.
    Food... served Home Style, help yourself. Menu is on a wipe board each morning. Lots of choices.
    All rooms have A/C, there is no beach or pool... and no kids.

I have trip report here to read:
    http://www.rnrscuba.net/2013_Roatan/...otos_2013.html

videos:
    https://vimeo.com/album/2443620

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quick report on my trip. When we book we were told the resort was almost full and the might have to put us in overflow housing. When we got there we learned the large group had their dates mixed up and turned out the be just 15 people there. One wasn't a diver. They ran two dive boats, only seven people on ours. We had the run of the resort. Lots of room. Never a line for food. Always a set at the bar. Never had to what for a drink. I want to dive like this all the time. This is my first trip in years where we where sucluded for the most part to the resort. There is good and bad with that. Never had to worry about going anywhere or making any food. On the flip side you didn't really get to see much but the resort.

CoCo View runs a top notch dive operation. They have it down to a science. Maybe the best I've seen. Everything is well organized and thought out from gear storage to boat settup. Tank fills and even nitrox testing. Everything just flows. Granted it was a small group when I was there but I bet there well thought out setup works just as well for larger groups. Just might have to wait a minute or two to test a tank or get a second plate at dinner.

The diving was about what I expect in the Caribean. The DM were great at finding stuff. Saw more sea horses here in a week than I did in two weeks in Indonesia. The house reef is OK the boat dives to other locations where overall much better sites IMHO.

Boat crews and DM where very good. We where on the red boat with Kirk and David.

Thread Information