Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octo hose length

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images

Octo hose length

I am seriously considering moving away from using a SS1 to a bungee necklaced octo. What length hose are people using? ST has miflex hoses 18" and 22" long on the website. Scuba Board says 24-28" but that seems way too long. Besides, I have always thought they exaggerate a little over there.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Shark
    I think mine is 24 inches, but I haven't used it yet, so I couldn't really say

Edit: Sorry, 36 inches. I can say, just holding it in my hand, it seems pretty long. Not overly so, but those with a smaller frame or more experience than me might feel differently
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Guppy
    Images
    I heard 22" is standard. I bought a 22" based on that and I have no complaints with it. I have about 50 dives with it. I also got a 40" hose for my primary second stage since that is what you donate to someone else. I have a 90 degree elbow on the primary second stage and route it under my arm.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I heard 22" is standard. I bought a 22" based on that and I have no complaints with it. I have about 50 dives with it. I also got a 40" hose for my primary second stage since that is what you donate to someone else. I have a 90 degree elbow on the primary second stage and route it under my arm.
    Well, no one can really complain about an octo hose length. The owner doesn't use it, and the buddy either doesn't complain because he didn't die, or can't complain because he did die. Starting to think octopus hoses are the perfect business
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    The backup reg needs to long enough so you can look to your left in the water comfortably. That is usually around 22"-24" but depends on what first stages you have and how big/small your are.

So... How long do you plan to go for your primary? I have a 5" and it works well for me considering only REC diving.
    Last edited by DevilDiver; 09-14-2015 at 17:48.
    DevilDiver

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Well, no one can really complain about an octo hose length. The owner doesn't use it, and the buddy either doesn't complain because he didn't die, or can't complain because he did die. Starting to think octopus hoses are the perfect business
    B,

Normally we breath from our primary regulator, on our longhose (5" or 7"). If there is a situation we donate the primary regulator, the one we are breathing. That way we know that we give away something that is safe to breath at that depth, there is enough hose where you can control a situation and divers can maneuver if needed.

After donating our regulator we need something else to breath - our backup regulator or secondary. Since our backup is what we are going to use in an emergency we need to find it fast and we need to be sure that it is going to be there. The backup second stage hangs around our neck like a necklace.

With this setup we know where our backup is and we are going to be 100% sure that it is going to be there when we need it.
    Last edited by DevilDiver; 09-14-2015 at 18:03.
    DevilDiver

Images
    I don't have an octopus. I use an Octo Z. It works great for me.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    B,

Normally we breath from our primary regulator, on our longhose (5" or 7"). If there is a situation we donate the primary regulator, the one we are breathing. That way we know that we give away something that is safe to breath at that depth, there is enough hose where you can control a situation and divers can maneuver if needed.

After donating our regulator we need something else to breath - our backup regulator or secondary. Since our backup is what we are going to use in an emergency we need to find it fast and we need to be sure that it is going to be there. The backup second stage hangs around our neck like a necklace.

With this setup we know where our backup is and we are going to be 100% sure that it is going to be there when we need it.
    Oh, I know. My first instructor wore his secondary around his neck. Just trying to inject a little humour with my two cents

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by PACKRMAN View Post
    I am seriously considering moving away from using a SS1 to a bungee necklaced octo. What length hose are people using? ST has miflex hoses 18" and 22" long on the website. Scuba Board says 24-28" but that seems way too long. Besides, I have always thought they exaggerate a little over there.
    I started doing this a few years ago. It's streamlined. It puts your octo in the center of your chest. It gives you something to sling your 2nd stages around on the boat. I think it should be industry standard.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Barracuda
    Images
    I'm with Zeagle & use an OCTO Z. First time I was in the Red Sea the DM had not seen one & while doing a check dive he had me stand in chest deep water & go over signs & out of air. When I switched to my OCTO Z and went to hand him my primary he jerked me up out of the water. He asked me if why I was trying to use my BCD inflator instead of octo. I showed him that it was my octo and informed him my brother was also using one. After that I always let the DM know my setup & if I have a new dive partner during a pre-dive check.. Better safe than sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information