Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You A Good Diver? How do you know?

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images

Question Are You A Good Diver? How do you know?

Many people go around under the impression that they are good divers, with the knowledge and skills to prove it.

But how do they really know? How do you know?

What factors do you see in others and/or yourself that defines "the good diver"? How do you develop the ones that you need?
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

My mom told me I'm a good diver.
    I'm not dead.

Seriously, whether you are good or not kind of depends who you are asking. Some think coming back from a dive uninjured makes them a good diver. Others might say you are a good diver if you don't harm the environment (take pictures, leave bubbles). Technically 'good' or ethically 'good'?
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Technically 'good' or ethically 'good'?
    Good question! Which has priority?
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Megalodon
    Images
    Good question PPM,

To me, the most important "gold standard" for being a good diver is that those I dive with still want to dive with me and haven't voted me off the boat. It's more than total dives and skills, it's also attitude and consideration. Do you help other divers willingly? Do you look out for your fellow divers? Are you a mentor for new divers or do you look down on them because they are new and don't know everything.

I've been on boats with divers who are far more completent than me (read DIR/GUE) who are not "good" divers as their way is the only way of diving. To me, it doesn't matter what gear you use or how advanced you are, it matters that you are able to dive your gear and safely dive within your skill level - and more importantly, your buddies skill level. Also, good divers are able to approached comfortably and honestly about their diving.

To me, the best compliment a good diver can receive is "(Insert your name here)? Yeah I'd dive with him/her anyday!"

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Megalodon
    Images
    To answer the pressing question of How Good a Diver Are You? I would like to think I'm an okay diver and hopefully a good diver. The better question would be "How Good of a Diver Do Other Divers Think You Are?"

I think both technically good and ethically good are important but if I had to be better in one area over another it would be ethically good. No matter how good you are technically, if you don't care about the environment you are in then who is going to make sure it is still there for future generations to enjoy? That said, if your technical skills are so poor you are touching things and bumping into things, you need to work on technical skills. Additionally, if you don't handle emergency situations well, getting injured isn't a good thing.

To me, being a good diver means giving back to the community. Whenever I joined a dive club I feel I have a moral obligation to help junior divers improve their technical skills and talk to them about taking care of the environment.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    unfortunately "good" is relative. there will always be divers that dive better or worse than me.when i dive an environment that I am familiar with, i am a good diver take me to a new place and out of my comfort zone and i become a 'bad' diveri love to learn and i choose to be out of my comfort zone at timescase in pointHubby and I just dove the Cooper River in SC. we were in search of Megalodon teeth we were told that the current is swift and the water is dark. we have more than 400 dives each and we thought it would be fun. well... it was great fun but very taxing. we held on to each other on descent and we had a jon line that connected us together. we found the bottom when we crashed into it. then the tumbling started. we drove our screwdrivers into the bottom to stop the tumbling and caught our breath. we could only see what was in our light beam. we picked up stuff and just hoped we had a tooth or 2. ascent was hmm... scary we could not see our gauges and the current was whipping us along we were terribly over weighted and had trouble getting off the bottom. (captain told us to wear salt water weight plus 6 pounds) our ascents were too fast. i tried watching bubbles, viz was so bad i could barely see them. we had no adverse effects from our ascents each dive we adjusted our technique and found ways to be smarter and safer. so are we good or bad divers???
    God is good, no matter what!!

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    To answer the pressing question of How Good a Diver Are You? I would like to think I'm an okay diver and hopefully a good diver. The better question would be "How Good of a Diver Do Other Divers Think You Are?"
    "How Good of a Diver Do BETTER Divers Think You Are?"

I changed a word. I think Navy is a great diver, he is better than I am. I learn from watching him on dives and work to get better. I feel that my opinion of him, while nice, is really less important than his opinion of me. A newb may think I am a good diver, but in my mind I know I can be better.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Grouper
    According to Dive Training Magazine "Good divers are always learning".
    Abandon all hope ...

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PACKRMAN View Post
    "How Good of a Diver Do BETTER Divers Think You Are?"

I changed a word. I think Navy is a great diver, he is better than I am. I learn from watching him on dives and work to get better. I feel that my opinion of him, while nice, is really less important than his opinion of me. A newb may think I am a good diver, but in my mind I know I can be better.
    I will say the same about you Packrman, I've enjoyed diving with you in the past and look forward to diving with you again. I do believe we are all mentors to both new and older divers. Within EMS, I've always given the new paramedics a strong piece of advice that translates to diving easily: Everyone you dive with will teach you something: Either what to do, and maybe do yourself if it will work for you. Or, what not to do and you tell yourself "I'm definitely not going to do that!" I am always open minded and will learn with every dive...

I am happy to say that most of the divers I've had the pleasure of diving with have been great. What's also important is how they represent divers on the surface as well as underwater. Are you a diver? Or do you just dive? The diver is ready to help you out both under and above the water. I've met some very great divers over the years. Some, I don't think realize the impression they made on a young diver from kansas. One that comes to mind was a family trip to Devil's Lake in Wisconsin: We were hiking around the lake, a few divers were getting ready to dive and when I said I was certified, they quickly put another set of gear together and said "Let's go!" These guys were indeed divers! I don't remember thier names, but I remember their actions , 39 years later. Too many good stories....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information