Thread: Compass

TadPole

Compass

Anyone have any experience with the Oceanic Clip-Mount Maxtilt compass? It looks pretty good from what I can see online but have never tried one or actually seen one in person. I'm looking for a decent compass I can clip to my harness so it's out of the way until I need it. I don't like wrist-mount as it's hard to get the angle I want, plus I have trouble getting it out far enough that my eyes will focus on it (getting old sucks!). What do you all use or recommend?

Images
    I used the Oceanic Clip-Mount a couple of times. It worked very well and makes an awesome clip on. I use an electronic one now.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Which one are you using, Zeagle? I have one on my Aeris A300CS wrist computer that works ok but wanted a dedicated compass and always heard the analog ones were better than electronic.

Administrator "Forum Admin"
    ST-Forum Mod
    I assume when you say Oceanic Maxtilt Compass you are referring to the new Swiv Compass. If so they are great. I have used it on my Datamax PPIII and have had no complaints. I had the Datamax PPII with the original side scan compass and had it get caught up a few times. I have had the new version for nearly 3 years and have not had it to me yet nor do I even expect it to. They have a much more lenient tilt to them.
    Thanks,
    Joey

Scubatoys Product Manager
    1609 S. I-35 E
    Carrollton, TX 75006
    972-820-7667
    [email protected]
    www.scubatoys.com
    Like us on
    Facebook.com/Scubatoys
    For deals, news and Discounts!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daebado View Post
    Which one are you using, Zeagle? I have one on my Aeris A300CS wrist computer that works ok but wanted a dedicated compass and always heard the analog ones were better than electronic.
    I checked out the video on your Aeris computer. Whoa, that's a nice computer.

Like you, the one I use is electronic and it is part of my Atomic Cobalt.aa.jpg I haven't used it that much, mostly which way is the beach or which way is the boat. All my nav stuff was done with the Pro Plus compass. I am not sure how accurate you need to be with your compass headings. For me either one is over kill. I think they would work very well for standard usage. I have found that the little ones, small enough to tuck into a BC, are a little harder to hold on a steady heading. Maybe I am old and can't hold my hands still.

I also have an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 dive computer which has an analog compass built into the console. It works great. It's really nice for underwater navigation especially the Nav class. It lights up well when I throw a light on it. It's easy to use for longer distance nav as you can hold it nicely. I like it because it has nice viewing window.pp3_top_web.jpgcomp.jpg

You want something to tuck it into a BC pocket so, I am thinking either the Oceanic stand alone hosemount hose.jpghoseclip.jpgor the pocket compass that you can attach a retractor toocside.jpg

There are several others out there, mostly pocket style or boot style. I am sort of an Oceanic fan boy. They seem to stand the test of time and 10 years from now should still be working.

In any case I am sure Joey can help you out with a good choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --Zeagle Eagle

Banned
    I assume when you say Oceanic Maxtilt Compass you are referring to the new Swiv Compass. If so they are great. I have used it on my Datamax PPIII and have had no complaints. I had the Datamax PPII with the original side scan compass and had it get caught up a few times. I have had the new version for nearly 3 years and have not had it to me yet nor do I even expect it to. They have a much more lenient tilt to them.

Thread Information