Thread: Old drysuit? Really need some advice.

Grouper
    Images

Old drysuit? Really need some advice.

I need your help again ST Forum!

I live in the Pacific Northwest where the water is cold all year long. I am taking a drysuit course using a rented Whites Tech Fusion. I like it a lot, and would be very happy to own one. However, I honestly don't know how much I would use it, so I don't want to sink a huge amount of money into a new suit and just have a sit. However, I do "think" I'll use it a fair amount, especially seeing as I've just joined a local volunteer search and recovery dive team.

That being said, I've found a number of ebay/craigslist listings for older suits. Many of them were made in the 2000 to 2005 range. Often the suits have only had 5-10 dives on them, then just sat. The owners often say they are in good condition, zipps work well, but naturally they need to have the latex seals replaced. They also often come with undergarment, hood, boots, sometimes gloves etc.

Often these suits can be had for $200-300. Putting another $100 in to replace the seals I could have a complete setup for about $300-400.

I could spend a little more and get a newer suit that would likely have a lot more dives on it. Of spend even more and get a newer suit that also has few dives on it, but the primary issue is I don't want to spend a lot of money right now on something I don't know will get a lot of use. I can always upgrade.

My question is this: is getting an older suit that is apparently in good condition a super bad idea? Any good experiences or bad experiences you could share?

The oldest suit I'm looking at right now is a Bare Commercial (made in 2000).

Ted

Grouper
    Images
    I bought my suit by doing just that. I paid $150 for a DUI cnse suit and another $150 to have new seals installed and to have it tested. I have dove it for 5 years and now needs new seals again and zipper. I decided to order a new DUI extreme flx. But I do feel I got more than my moneys worth out of it. If you can install the seals yourself, you could really come out with a good bargain.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Images
    I personally would not shy away from a used suit over a new suit. In fact, new suits simply cost too much and there are many used available. The question obviously is has the suit been taken care of and the is a gamble unless you know the person selling it. Personally, if the seller has been a diver and a while and dives regularly I would assume they have taken care of the suit....those that dive regularly take care of their equipment.

I own two drysuits. The first I bought 2nd hand - crushed neoprene. It's a good suit, but it does not fit me very well. I keep it around for my dive buddy to use from time to time. I actually paid too much for it and can't really get what I paid for out of it. I don't just want to give it away. After getting into drysuit diving I wanted something a little thinner and bought a new Pinnicle Evo 2. It's a nice suit and fits me better...this is the one I use when I dive dry.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you find a suit that is in general good condition and that fits. That is the key...a bad fitting suit simply sucks, and the price is right I wouldn't be afraid of buying it.

Snagel

Grouper
    Images
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. Unfortunately the suit I was really interested in sold just after I started this post, but there will be more that come up and now I'll be ready! There's an interesting looking TLS350 closing later today.

Ted

Administrator "Forum Admin"
    ST-Forum Mod
    Not to agree or disagree but Bare makes drysuits that come with a lifetime warranty. They may be more expensive in the beginning but in the end it just might save you money.
    Thanks,
    Joey

Scubatoys Product Manager
    1609 S. I-35 E
    Carrollton, TX 75006
    972-820-7667
    [email protected]
    www.scubatoys.com
    Like us on
    Facebook.com/Scubatoys
    For deals, news and Discounts!

TadPole
    I live in the PNW also, I bought my drysuit used, put new wrist and a neck seal on it and have been diving it for 4 years!

Grouper
    Images
    That's great! I'm still looking, nothing has come up yet that looks like the perfect match.

Thread Information