Thread: From Philly with love - and a request!

TadPole

Lightbulb From Philly with love - and a request!

Hey guys and gals!

My name is Jon Shoap, I'm pretty new to diving, and completely new to this forum. I'm currently a senior at Philadelphia University, studying Industrial Design. For our senior year, we get to take on any project we find interesting; my topic of choice is a rather specific piece of SCUBA equipment.

Since I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to diving, I came here in hopes of picking your collective brains and gathering some useful research and insight into what makes or breaks the design of a piece of quality gear. I'm still in the very early stages of the design process, and the knowledge you guys have is indispensable to me, particularly during this phase of the project.

If it's not too forward of me to ask, I've put together a quick survey intended to get a read on the potential viability of the product I'm interested in designing. It's short and sweet, and if any of you happen to have a few minutes to help a poor young college student make progress on designing something that I think we could all benefit from, I would be forever in your debt.

Here's a link to the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1S_l...?usp=send_form

Thank you all so much in advance, I really couldn't do it without you!

- Jon Shoap

Images
    Didn't you already post this in another thread?
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole

Unhappy Profound Regret

Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Didn't you already post this in another thread?
    I certainly did! I really, really hope I'm not breaking any code or rules of the forum, if I am you have my most sincere apologies. It was not my intent to be a menace to society, I simply wanted to make sure I was able to gather sufficient data and figured it wouldn't hurt to plant a few seeds as opposed to just one. If I was mistaken and did hurt someone, I'll commit to a session of corporeal punishment to repent for my sins against humanity

All joking aside, I didn't consider that multiple posts might be annoying or gratuitous; I don't frequent online forums so I'm a tad rusty when it comes to etiquette. Perhaps I was a bit overzealous with my postings; it won't happen again, you have my word.

Megalodon
    Images
    All is forgiven.... But do you dive?

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Images
    Took the survey & don't think you're a bum just because I don't want to come to PA. I have been diving since early 70's & have seen alot a changes. I learned with out the current tech things. I consider the BCD & AI Dive Computers to be the best improvements. Dive computers because they have depth, time & air all in one package. However saying that I still have back gauges.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    All is forgiven.... But do you dive?
    I have, regrettably not much. Only my checkout dives thus far, if you even count that. I'm somewhere in the realm of being a total and complete newbie, which is why I came here! You guys have infinitely more insight as to what would constitute useful features versus entirely useless "improvements" to current dive equipment. To that point, you have all been incredibly helpful with the process, thanks so much to all of ya!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    Took the survey & don't think you're a bum just because I don't want to come to PA. I have been diving since early 70's & have seen alot a changes. I learned with out the current tech things. I consider the BCD & AI Dive Computers to be the best improvements. Dive computers because they have depth, time & air all in one package. However saying that I still have back gauges.
    I reckon that's a fair enough reason to decline further involvement, I would be in the same boat! (pun kindof intended). Given your plethora of experience dating back for decades, I'm not surprised to hear that you have stuck with the older tech - something along the lines of "don't fix what ain't broke", I'm guessing? Regardless, your input is invaluable to me and my work, thank you for taking the time to even respond!

Thread Information