Thread: Got a sec?

TadPole

Lightbulb Got a sec?

Hey guys and gals!

My name is Jon Shoap, I'm pretty new to diving, and completely new to this forum. I'm currently a senior at Philadelphia University, studying Industrial Design. For our senior year, we get to take on any project we find interesting; my topic of choice is a rather specific piece of SCUBA equipment.

Since I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to diving, I came here in hopes of picking your collective brains and gathering some useful research and insight into what makes or breaks the design of a piece of quality gear. I'm still in the very early stages of the design process, and the knowledge you guys have is indispensable to me, particularly during this phase of the project.

If it's not too forward of me to ask, I've put together a quick survey intended to get a read on the potential viability of the product I'm interested in designing. It's short and sweet, and if any of you happen to have a few minutes to help a poor young college student make progress on designing something that I think we could all benefit from, I would be forever in your debt.

Here's a link to the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1S_l...?usp=send_form

Thank you all so much in advance, I really couldn't do it without you!

- Jon Shoap

Shark
    Interesting survey. Now, I'm curious about what you're going to build.

Reading your post made me wonder if there is a niche market for Steam Punk aftermarket add-ons for scuba gear.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

TadPole
    Thanks Largo! If I knew what I was building I'd totally let you know - but that's what the survey is for, I'm narrowing down which problem(s) and features are most important to divers and letting the data drive my design process. For now, I'm hovering in the realm of a real-time SONAR location tracker meets heads-up-display mashup, but only time and iteration will tell where we end up!

Now steampunk diving gear....as niche as that may be, and although it's something I hadn't considered, that right there sounds like one heck of a design opportunity!! Even just for the sheer enjoyment of making it (it may not be a large enough market to warrant manufacturing), be on the lookout for some conceptual renderings of a line of steampunk equipment. If/when I have some spare time, that's actually something that would be unbelievably worthwhile to put together! You sir, are an inspiration. Double gratitude for you!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Interesting survey. Now, I'm curious about what you're going to build.

Reading your post made me wonder if there is a niche market for Steam Punk aftermarket add-ons for scuba gear.
    https://youtu.be/TFCuE5rHbPA
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Shark
    Random thought: What would happen if Halcyon hired a Steam Punk inspired engineer?
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    Hahaha well played, PlatypusMan! If there were a more relevant situation to play that song, I've yet to see it

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Random thought: What would happen if Halcyon hired a Steam Punk inspired engineer?
    Well I'm not technically an engineer, just a lowly designer. I just make things sexy while the engineers do all the heavy lifting behind the scenes. Buuuuut....if this is secretly an under-the-table job offer, you've got yourself a match right here

Thread Information