Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Sucralose?

Barracuda
    Images

Pure Sucralose?

I've been using splenda as a sugar replacement for serveral years now. What I need is help with using pure surcalose. I bought a package & am trying to figure out how much to use. I know 1/8 th tea spoon is too much for a gallon of tea. Has anyone found a way to measure this short of a lab scale. It is real cheap compared to the big bag of splenda. Oh yeah they don't give any instructions on strenght except 50 grams is 8 or 9 thousand tea spoons worth.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    From what you've described, it sounds like you will need a lab scale, along with something to cut the sucralose with. Your problem is going to be making sure you can store it properly, and that no one who sees your equipment and/or you using it doesn't misunderstand what you are doing and create problems for you. Serious, break down your door in the night problems.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Barracuda
    Images
    I have a 1/8th tsp measuring spoon & have found the level in it that is pretty correct for a gallon of iced tea. I have a 1/16th on order that should arrive in a few days. The little spoons do remind me ones I found on certain people who like to sniff things. As far as someone seeing me using it , my better 15/16ths is the only one around when making tea. Not going to be taking it to town to use in a resturant. have liquid for that. & yes I do know about late night visits, used to do them myself in my younger days & then later as a CSI person. Keep stuff in a fridge & it will stay dry.

Shark
    Dissolve a known measure of sucralose in a known amount of water. You probably don't have a 1/64 tsp measuring spoon(not sure if that's equal to 1tsp of sugar, but that's the best I can find so far), but you do have a tbsp measuring spoon. get a dropper bottle, add 2 tbsp of water (600 drops) and 1 tbsp of sucralose (192 servings of 1/64 tsp). If you are worried about my math, do half a tbsp or even a tsp of sucralose to start off and see how it goes. After combining (may require heat but probably not), you should have about 3 tbsp of liquid, where 4-5 drops should equal 1/64 tsp of powdered sucralose.

Also, lucky. You can't find that stuff in Canada to save your life. If you ever find yourself disliking the taste, consider doing half sucralose and half stevia (by sweetness, rather than by weight or volume). Sweeteners have an interesting effect of counteracting each others' taste shortcomings.

Edit: yeah, that 1/64th thing is bugging me. Just start low and work up. It's pretty basic math, though
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Barracuda
    Images
    I actually found 1/8th teaspoon measuring spoon at Wal-Mart. I found on Amazon.com a set with Drop, Smidgen 1/16th,Pinch 1/8th, Dash 1/4, & Dash 1/2 teaspoon. So I should be ok using these. I have tried stevia and it tastes so bitter that I thiught I was going to be sick. So far the only artificial sweeterners I can use are aspartamne which is really bad for you & Sucralose. So far no bad side effects reported with it. The package I bought was for industrial use I'm sure like mixing huge amounts of bread or soda, not making a gallon of tea or a glaas. For when I go out I have liquid that is 800 servings in 2 OZ. I carry about a 1/2 Oz with me in a dropper bottle.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    I actually found 1/8th teaspoon measuring spoon at Wal-Mart. I found on Amazon.com a set with Drop, Smidgen 1/16th,Pinch 1/8th, Dash 1/4, & Dash 1/2 teaspoon. So I should be ok using these. I have tried stevia and it tastes so bitter that I thiught I was going to be sick. So far the only artificial sweeterners I can use are aspartamne which is really bad for you & Sucralose. So far no bad side effects reported with it. The package I bought was for industrial use I'm sure like mixing huge amounts of bread or soda, not making a gallon of tea or a glaas. For when I go out I have liquid that is 800 servings in 2 OZ. I carry about a 1/2 Oz with me in a dropper bottle.
    I had that problem too, but when I used them both together, I didn't notice. I don't buy into the whole "sucralose is bad for you" thing, but the way I see it, it's not that hard to mix and use half as much, so why not ere on the side of caution? Of course, stevia may also be a lot more expensive than sucralose over there, so your mileage may vary
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

....Beginning??...........OR......The end???
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    Aspartamine is not really bad for you according to cancer.org (american cancer society) and the FDA when following the manufacturers instructions on the product and do not have the genetic PKU disorder as in 1 in approximately 10,000 to 15,000. Unfortunately misinformation is rampant on the internet with few caring to try to correct it; so here's my part for another website.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...home/aspartame

So, you can go back to enjoying aspartamine as I take 6 packs a day for the past greater than 25 years and am still enjoying it with my coffee today.
    Only your mental acceptance/rejection of choices make you happy/unhappy................................................... ..........................No other human can change you............ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness................

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha View Post
    Aspartamine is not really bad for you according to cancer.org (american cancer society) and the FDA when following the manufacturers instructions on the product and do not have the genetic PKU disorder as in 1 in approximately 10,000 to 15,000. Unfortunately misinformation is rampant on the internet with few caring to try to correct it; so here's my part for another website.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...home/aspartame

So, you can go back to enjoying aspartamine as I take 6 packs a day for the past greater than 25 years and am still enjoying it with my coffee today.
    Or maybe the aspartame has rotted your brain to the point that you don't even know you are sick?!

....Beginning??...........OR......The end???
    Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Or maybe the aspartame has rotted your brain to the point that you don't even know you are sick?!
    Perfect misinformation reply!
    Only your mental acceptance/rejection of choices make you happy/unhappy................................................... ..........................No other human can change you............ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness................

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha View Post
    Perfect misinformation reply!
    Or maybe the aspartame has rotted brainwashed you to the point where you don't care about all the fluoride in your water?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information