Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinon Requested

Barracuda
    Images

Your Opinon Requested

Texas has passed "open carry for firearms by licensed CHL holders. A business owner asked my thoughts as a retired police ofiicer. I will post my thoughts aa a later time. She said she had 2 customers already tell her they would not ever come back if she allowed it. So far I have not seen anyone openly carrying or any stores forbidding it ( store's right to ot not).
    Was just wondering what most of ya'll think. Would you not go back or not?

Guppy
    Images
    No it would not and has not stopped me. We have had open carry in Oklahoma for a while now and very few people wear them openly. Some do and a few of the ones that do all of the time honestly should not have been issued the license in the first place. This is my personal opinion based on their attitudes of being invincible with a gun. In Oklahoma the shock value wore off pretty quickly. I have the license but do not open carry. I may worry less than others though.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Megalodon
    Images
    Yoda says: "Worms, a bag of them, you have opened." The anti-gun folks seem to grab on to these and predict doom, gloom and blood in the streets. So far, every state that has put these laws into effect have either had no change in crimes or seen a slight decline in crime. The progun group will argue that having a "No guns allowed" sign invites that criminal element as they know that there are no law-abiding armed citizens at that locale.

I'm not the biggest fan of open carry, but to each their own. I will say that I am more inclined to go elsewhere in there's a no gun sign and I am carrying - I don't want to leave my firearm in my vehicle.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    Honestly, I think if a business owner doesn't want that in their establishment, they have every right to make that decision. For what it's worth, I have no strong opinion on open carry, and am more-or-less in favour of concealed carry. Doesn't really come up over here, though
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Personally I have felt less safe with a people openly carrying a hand guns near me. In my opinion, a person who feels the need to openly carry a gun in public is more than a little unstable and shouldn't have access to firearms. I feel that the majority of the people that I know, concealed carrying, secretly want to shoot someone, and they scare me too.

I grew up around guns. I love guns. People on the other hand... not so much.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Barracuda
    Images
    Open Carry is just asking for trouble: imagine the scenario of a 911 call reporting a shooting in a mall. The police arrive and see 10 people with pistols, holstered or not (and chances are very high they are going to see 10 people waving their weapons around). Yes, yes, I know the gun lobby is going to say the pistol packers can shoot the original shooter before he does any more harm. But you still have the police tactical squad showing up ready to confront an armed shooter and not knowing that the original threat is over. They come in and see armed people. Anyone want to place odds that nothing is going to happen?

And this doesn't even address the probability that some of the pistol packers can't hit the side of a barn even if they are inside it. They will still fire and endanger bystanders. Ask a police officer to tell you the difference between shooting on a range and going into a "hot" scenario.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Images
    I am a CHL. I am never without it. However, I feel that open carry scares a lot of people. I don't know why someone would want to open carry. I never want anyone to know I have a gun until I use it. I have not pulled it in 40 years and don't ever plan on using it. It's like life insurance. For me, the jury is still out on this one. I don't see the need. I see some negative and not much positive. Can anyone explain why they would want to open carry?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Megalodon
    Images
    One observation I have made since Kansas enacted the open carry is that the first few weeks there were a lot of folks doing open carry. After the novelty wore off, I don't see open carry near as much. The fact that a law abiding citizen can now conceal carry without a permit means most of the more logical amongst us just carried concealed. The ones that still open carry do in a number of cases instill not a lot of confidence.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Images
    I have a CWP and carry often. My state does not allow open carry, and I would not open carry if it were allowed. But, I do not feel others are a danger if they choose to open carry. Asking someone why they would want to open carry is no different than someone asking you why you want to carry a gun at all.

As to the original post, I do not patronize businesses in my state that post no concealed weapons allowed signs. If open carry were allowed in my state I would not patronize businesses that post no open carry weapons allowed signs. I value people exercising their legal choices. I value a business owner's choice to not allow concealed weapons or open carry, but I will also choose not to shop there.

There will be quite a variety of opinions on this topic, and I doubt any two of us will have the exact same opinion.

....Beginning??...........OR......The end???
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    Texas has passed "open carry for firearms by licensed CHL holders. A business owner asked my thoughts as a retired police ofiicer. I will post my thoughts aa a later time. She said she had 2 customers already tell her they would not ever come back if she allowed it. So far I have not seen anyone openly carrying or any stores forbidding it ( store's right to ot not).
    Was just wondering what most of ya'll think. Would you not go back or not?
    Thoughts as a non carrying patron: 1. Who is the person with the weapon and are they the violent type, a security guard, or a off duty police officer? 2. Do I want to enter the establishment to possibly find out? 3. I had best not sit or stand next to the person with the gun as they may draw shots from a potential robber or a trouble maker in the establishment.

Thoughts as a owner of the establishment: 1. I don't know this person who just came in with the gun so do I know where mine is if needed? 2. Oh I see a person with a gun eating at the bar and I hope no one goes for the obvious displayed gun. 3. Well, if anyone tries to rob me I guess this person with the gun will either help or the robber will think they might help and will thus draw attention to them since they see a gun and maybe I can then draw mine if needed if they don't shoot each other first.

Thoughts as one wanting to rob the establishment: 1. Forget this place as they are carrying guns.
    Only your mental acceptance/rejection of choices make you happy/unhappy................................................... ..........................No other human can change you............ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information