Thread: Diving in Belize

TadPole

Diving in Belize

I am going to be stopping in Belize in March, 2016 via Royal Caribbean. I have been looking for reputable dive operations in Belize in which to book a trip. I have been reading mixed reviews on whether or not to book via the cruise ship, or whether to book independently. Does anyone have any recommendations for Belize diving?

Images
    Usually, but not always, you get a better deal booking by yourself. Booking through the cruise ship gives you the convenience of not having to worry about much. It can be a cattle car operation though.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    Plus most of the trips booked through the ship will be geared towards the "once-a-year" diver who only does it during their cruise vacation - short, shallow, safe, all up when the first air-hog blows through his tank. Booking on your own will allow you to find an that can accommodate you.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Images
    When we cruised our biggest concern was missing the boat due to a dive operator not getting us back in time. So, we booked through the cruise ship knowing that they would not leave without us because they booked the dive. It was a little more money and the dives were not as good. We actually skipped Belize diving because getting to the good dive locations took a lot longer. We were not going to spend money to make a shallow dive in Belize and getting to the better sites was not possible because of the scheduling.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    We were there over Thanksgiving. I chose not to dive because I was going back this summer for the Scuba Toys trip. I was glad I didn't. The dive boat did pick up the divers right off the ship so they didn't have to tender in but it was easily the most crowded boat I have ever seen. It looked like 40 divers on a 30 man boat. I know I saw 6 full size gear bags piled on the back. I never did talk to anyone who was on the boat to see how the operation ran but it sure made me happy to spend the day pool side.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

TadPole
    Great choice as Belize is known for spectacular wall dives and its waters are teeming with rich marine aquatic life. Plus you can also expect great visibility of up to 50 meters!

There is absolutely no better way to see how awesome the dive spots are than by spending a week on a liveaboard. So I suggest you book with a liveaboard rather than a cruise ship. You can check out http://divezone.net/belize-liveaboard-reviews-2013 to know about liveboards in Belize.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I made many dives at Ramones in Ambergris Cay in Belize. Great diving, and the boat rides are typically four minutes long. Awesome.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Thread Information