Thread: New Diver Travel Advice??

Images

New Diver Travel Advice??

Here's the skinny...A work buddy has been talking to me about he and his wife getting their certification. It is starting to sound like they are getting serious about. They currently are not certified, but I think they will be in a few months through a local shop. Last year they went to Cozumel on a "just us - no kids" get away. They did not do any diving, but did do some snorkeling and the beach thing. They are getting the tropical water bug.

He came in recently and told me they are planning their vacations for 2016 - one will be a cruise with their kids and the other will be a week getaway just him and his wife. They want to get their certification before they go and do some diving. He asked me about the Pacific Side of Mexico (Acapulco). I've never been their and I think if diving is a big part of the vacation, that area isn't the best...am I correct on this? I think what I know is the water isn't as clear, it is colder, and a little more intense for new divers....am I correct? What's your thoughts? I'd like to give him good advice in this area.

I talked to him about the Mexico Rivera Area and a AI Resort. They are looking for a AI resort with beach. Any thoughts? I've been to a few and gave him that information. Do you have any recommendations?

They are not set on really anything and just want to look at what is out there. They want to spend time on a nice beach, do some diving (remember these will be new divers), have a couples week, really thinking AI. Does not have to be Mexico. Since they went to Coz last year I think they are wanting to do something else.

Give me your thoughts so I can pass it along. If you have some input on Acapulco let me know.

Snagel

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Given the criteria, I think you are on the right track. I would focus them on the Puerto Adventures or Talum areas south of Playa or even the southern end of Cozumel and just look for any deals being offered.
    DevilDiver

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Wow Snagel!

You should start a Dive Tourist business!
    DevilDiver

Images
    What sort of hotel budget are we looking at?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    Dive Urge in Dahab Egypt. It isn't an AI but there is a resturant there. & they cater to small group 4 max. @ people in your group , you will have a diive guide just for ya'll unless you ask to join someone or you go on a boat or Camel dive. takes 4 to go on these. Airfare is a more than the carriabean but the diving with room is the same or cheaper. And the reefs are much better than Coz. skip Sharm it's over dove, no fish and not htat good of reefs. Just my 2 cents.

Images
    Thanks for the response so far. We didn't talk budget, but since he went to Coz last year he has a basic understanding of the cost. I would guess he is in the $2K-$3K range for him and his wife. I'm sure a $5K per person live aboard is not in the budget.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    We are members of the HardRock just south of Playa del Carmen. It is pretty nice, spa, 2 resorts, 14 resteraunts, lagoon beach, way too many pools etc. I always dive with Dive Adventurous. Best dive shop I have used anywhere. They will pickup and drop off at the resort too. I did my Rescue with them and my sister in law did a referral with them on her open water. Even if they don't stay at the HardRock ( I can extend my price to them ) I do recommend Dive Adventurous.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Images
    Thanks again. I need to touch base again with my work buddy. I think we are all in agreement that the Cancun/Playa/Talum area is probably best? The Pacific Side (Acapulco) is not the best....correct?

I know he is talking to a travel agent and they may be pointing him toward the Acapulco side; which is fine, but I believe the diving is not as good in that area but I have never been there. Do you concur?

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    Not sure if they are planning a "vacation where we do a bit of diving" or a "diving vacation".
    If they are looking at a diving vacation I would suggest they check out SingleDivers.com. Good group of people, dive oriented vacations, and a big plus for new divers is their "rent a buddy" program where you are buddied with a DM or instructor level person who concentrates on improving your diving. I am looking at the trip to Little Cayman in Sept.
    https://www.singledivers.com/home/
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Shark
    If they are looking to ease into diving, they might like Lauderdale by the Sea. It's one of the few places that I know of in the US where you can shore-dive a reef.

There are some videos of the diving there on youtube.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Thread Information