Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new reg

TadPole

new reg

I'm in the Market for a new regulator and I'm looking at the Atomic m1 and the scubapro S560 any help would be appreciated, the old one is giving up the ghost.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    How easily can you get an Atomic serviced in Cozumel?
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Different people will have different options on what is 'better' when it comes to regulators. If it costs too much initially that could be a barrier to some. If the cost to maintain it could be a barrier to others. For me, I'm willing to pay a little extra for a regulator set if I only need to have them services once every 2 years (rather than once every 1 year). Also, I find myself in various orientations (upside down, backwards, sideways, etc.). Some regulators breath a little wet in certain orientations. I'd want one which breaths well in any orientation.

I know of the Scubapro regulators. They tend to have a very good reputation. I have also heard good things about the Atomic M1.

One thing which does put me off with the Scubapro is a marketing gimmick they do. They advertise free parts for life. However, if you read the fine print you find out that this is for the initial owner of the regulators. If you want to sell the regulators, the new owner does not get free parts for life. The parts are more expensive than other regulators. This reduces the resale value of a Scubapro regulator. Additionally, you must get them serviced annually. If you miss a service (once every 2 years), the parts are no longer free. Also, you have to have them serviced by an authorized Scubapro repair center. The cost of getting your regulator repaired at these places might be more expensive than other service centers.

It is essentially like saying "30% off". If one item is $500, no discount and other is $800 but 30% off ($615), the first item is still the better deal. If Scubapro costs $90 + free parts but some other regulator is $50 + $20 in parts ($70) then the other regulator is a better deal. Especially if you have the regulators for 30+ years or you want to sell them as used. I will say that Scubapro is getting better. They used to say you have to get them serviced annually. Now it is every 2 years.

On a different note, what is the old regulator? I know people with regulators that are decades old. With proper servicing, a good regulator seems to last forever. Some regulators are hard to get parts for (e.g. Dacor) but if you can get the parts, you can get them repaired. Once properly serviced most regulators are like new.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Administrator "Forum Admin"
    ST-Forum Mod
    If I may chime in here. Both regulators are equal in quality and performance if we are talking Scubapro's top of the line MK25/600 only. The rest simply do not compare. Atomic's regulators perform the same all the way from the low end to the top end of their line. The only thing that changes is simply the materials it is made of and the whistles and bells, such as turreting 1st stage, free motion swivel on the 2nd stage or the cold water features of the M1. Other than that the Atomic also has the AFC (Automatic Flow Control) which proprietary to the Atomic brand only. In my opinion well worth its weight in gold. It is basically the dive/pre-dive feature that most high end reg's have but with the Atomic it controls it for you by sensing if it is under pressure or not on its own. I have been diving Atomic for over 12 years and will never switch, well maybe to one of the Stainless steel or Titanium versions for travel some day but that's it.
    Thanks,
    Joey

Scubatoys Product Manager
    1609 S. I-35 E
    Carrollton, TX 75006
    972-820-7667
    [email protected]
    www.scubatoys.com
    Like us on
    Facebook.com/Scubatoys
    For deals, news and Discounts!

TadPole
    No issues there Cozumel Scuba Repair just serviced my wife's atomic today.

Guppy
    Do they service Hogs or are you willing to learn how to do it yourself?

Do you need the higher O2 capability of the M1? http://atomicaquatics.com/reg_comparison.html Or the optional cave ring?

If not the B2 comes with the 2nd stage swivel for exactly the same money. It is extraordinarily comfortable - twice I've almost dropped the reg completely from my mouth there's so little jaw stress/fatigue.

An S560 is a 2nd stage. What Scubapro 1st are you pairing it with? Normally it's sold with the Mk21 in which case I'd buy Atomic just for the 1st stage swivel.
    Not that there's anything wrong with a Mk21 - the port routing is optimized but fixed. And the piston is smaller than the Mk25. But it is the newest Scubapro reg and optimized for cold water performance. Breathing characteristics aren't as good as a Mk25 - you can find the specs. on their website.

Plus it's a 2HP/4LP reg - you only get the fifth port with the optional cap (I think). The Atomics are all 2HP/5LP ports standard.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    I dive B-2's and love them.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

TadPole
    I had the Mk25 but the last year when I had it serviced at Cozumel scuba repair I was there when Javier opened it up and it was all corroded it was the Aluminum version so I purchased one through Cozumel scuba repair it was brass and I can't remember the manufacture but I've had or over a year and it performs great no issues so I would pair what ever second stages I get with that 1st stage, My wife likes her atomic b2's so I'm leaning that way right not, but I need something that will work for Nitrox, since I'm going to finally break down and start diving with the old gezzer gas.

Recreational Nitrox?

B2:
    Nitrox ready for mixtures up to 40%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information