Thread: Is it really true that tanks have a maximum number of 5 allowed Hydros ?

TadPole

Is it really true that tanks have a maximum number of 5 allowed Hydros ?

I was in the Scubatoys shop yesterday, picking up one batch of tanks while dropping off a 2nd batch of tanks (needing assorted visual/hydros) when the gentleman at the counter commented that their hydro supplier only allows tanks to be hydroed a maximum number of 5 times. Among my tanks, I'd brought in one used galvanized steel tank I'd recently purchased for a visual/valve installation, and he advised me (when shopping for used tanks) to buy only those tanks with as recent a manufacture date as possible, as their hydro shop only allows tanks to have 5 hydro cycles. I've never heard of any DOT or government regulation like this, so is this the 'policy' of one particular hydro shop or just possible mistaken information ?

Steel tanks are costing close to $ 500 each, (new) these days, and the hot dipped galvanized tanks have been totally out of production for a few years now, so I'm not looking forward to having to eventually write off multiple $ 500 tanks that are irreplaceable at any price, as well!

Thanks in advance,

Karl

Guppy
    I definitely have some OLD tanks with WAY more than 5 hydros on them.

Megalodon
    Images
    I'm in the same group as mikeamenti: I have/had several tanks that have more than 5 hydros. I sold off a pair of vintage steel tanks a number of years ago that the original hydro was '59. There were at least 8 hydros when I sold them. the guy doing the hydros predicted many more as they pass with flying colors every time. Even if they DOT rule changed, that particular test station's 5 hydro rule means a 25 year life span.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    That's a completely stupid and arbitrary rule! As long as they pass the hydro, and there is still room on the shoulder to stamp it, they are good to go. Just as bad as idiots saying "no AL tanks over 10 years old".
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Shark
    The phone company and oilfield people still use cylinders made by the Linde Company that were made in the 1800s.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Administrator "Forum Admin"
    ST-Forum Mod
    I am not sure who made the statement that there are only 5 hydro's to a cylinder but I have to assume that our employee was just misinformed somewhere. To my knowledge the standard aluminum scuba cylinders should be able to be hydro statically tested as many times as it passes. There is no exact date on which a scuba cylinder is set to expire. I apologize for the confusion this has caused but there was no harm meant. We have heard of certain facilities only allowing tanks of a certain age to be accepted but there are extenuating circumstances in those cases and I am guessing that is where the confusion must have started.

Goes for the same on steel tanks too.

This was just a huge misunderstanding. Sorry for confusion.
    Thanks,
    Joey

Scubatoys Product Manager
    1609 S. I-35 E
    Carrollton, TX 75006
    972-820-7667
    joey@scubatoys.com
    www.scubatoys.com
    Like us on
    Facebook.com/Scubatoys
    For deals, news and Discounts!

Megalodon
    Images
    I do recall that as of 3 years ago Athens Scuba Park had a sign that advised no AL fill on tanks over 10 year old....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubatoysjojo View Post
    I am not sure who made the statement that there are only 5 hydro's to a cylinder but I have to assume that our employee was just misinformed somewhere. To my knowledge the standard aluminum scuba cylinders should be able to be hydro statically tested as many times as it passes. There is no exact date on which a scuba cylinder is set to expire. I apologize for the confusion this has caused but there was no harm meant. We have heard of certain facilities only allowing tanks of a certain age to be accepted but there are extenuating circumstances in those cases and I am guessing that is where the confusion must have started.

Goes for the same on steel tanks too.

This was just a huge misunderstanding. Sorry for confusion.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Thread Information