Thread: express tech set up? Crock strap? weights?

Grouper

express tech set up? Crock strap? weights?

Hi,
    I have a basic express tech, that I have not used yet. Getting ready to head to cozumel. I added the rear weight system, took it off my escape bc, and put it on the bottom tank straps. That is all I have done. Do you feel I need weight on the front as well? Is a crotch strap necessary for warm water. I typically take 10-12lbs at a 1mm suit at most. Appreciate the help most research seems to be towards the tech diving side of things I found.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    I have found that I like all of my weight forward of my hips. I feel that it counters the weight of the tank on my back. You might think about trying a weight belt and just move the weights around on it. Experiment whether you like them forward or back. I don't think you're going to know until you dive the rig. The same with the crotch strap. I did not like the 2" strap so I put a 1" on it. Pretty soon I realized my rig didn't ride up at the surface so I quit using one. As much fun as it is to ask someone to help with that strap I find it easier to dive without one.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Shark
    Hi. I have the same rig, minus the crotch strap. If I use it, I have on a 3mm zippered vest, and two 5 lbs. weights on a belt. That makes me a little bit negative.

Maybe do a shore dive to get neutral before going out on the boat?
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Shark
    Also, those neoprene weight belts, with several pockets work well with that BC. The belt keeps you in a slight head-down trim, and it's easy to add or remove weight.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Grouper
    Thanks, appreciate it. I also have some zip touch pockets, so will put them on to move weight closer to hips. I will hit the pool first to get close. I am hoping to not need a crotch strap. Thank you for the help.

Grouper
    Well I actually took it out and it was shipped as a deluxe with zip touch weights and padding kit. So I took the pads off, set it up and hit the pool, very impressed. I had ordered the old model I thought:-) I don't think I will need a crotch strap with the deluxe harness. Put 2 SS rings on it and one dive rite small pocket. I am really happy with it. Now I need to decide on my next reg set. Either Envoy II or another set of Atomic Z2. I loved my atomics, but if the envoy II breathed as nice and had no bubble issues ( had the m1 exhaust tee on atomic), I honestly like the company enough to switch:-)

Thread Information