Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headed out

Grouper
    Almost certain it's Zika. Progress of symptoms confirmed by a number of people who had it. Also confirmed that it's an almost certainty, given the standing water everywhere and it's prevalence in Belnam. Onset about 5 days into trip. Got only a single daily dive in for another two days - then it really hit. Saying any more about symptoms would be TMI - let's just say classic and leave it at that.

Not sure if I can dive today. Still a bit wiped and don't want a setback. I'd like to dive Cliff once more. and I fly out Saturday so thursday is my last day of diving - if I can.

I'm also certain I won't be diving anywhere where mosquito born diseases are rampant - or even possible. I can not imagine having Dengue. I'm just too old to take that chance.
    Abandon all hope ...

Grouper
    Got home yesterday still sick. 14 day trip, 10 days ill, only 9 dives, got back to my car at the Newark Ranada to find my EZ-Pass & car registration were stolen. Got a Dr's apointment late this afternoon. Hoping to get some resolution and forget this trip except for the few dives.
    Abandon all hope ...

Grouper
    Dr appt yesterday. Going to do the tests but he thinks it is a very bad case of stomach bug.
    Abandon all hope ...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Dr appt yesterday. Going to do the tests but he thinks it is a very bad case of stomach bug.
    That is really good news.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    That is really good news.
    Thanks. Yes it is.

All I have to do next time I travel is douse myself with biosoap every time I'm anywhere people have been - LOL. Seriously though, I think I will get a small container of germicidal soap to have in my carry on and use it before I get to the airport and frequently till I'm back on the ground again. This was really debilitating and severely shortened what should have been a much more extensive experience. Oh well - there's always next time.
    Abandon all hope ...

Images
    Man Charon, hate to hear all this. We got back last Sunday morning. Flying in I started feeling the head cold thing and was in full blown "snot head" on the plane to Bonaire. I was taking everything I could OTC and even started on some oral antibiotics to keep in from going into a ear infection. Luckily I did my checkout dive on the Sunday we got there and was fine. A little congested, but the salt water actually helped out tremendously. By Tuesday I was much better although the wife wasn't feeling good at all and actually spent most of the week chillin in the condo and reading (actually her favorite type of vacation).

I didn't take a computer and the wife was on hers; so, I forgot all about trying to hook up with you. Sounds like you were pretty much down anyway.

What did you think about all the torrential rain Bonaire had? We have never seen that much rain there.

Anyway, we had a good trip, got in 21 dives. Hate to hear your trip was a bummer, but it sounds like you are on the mend. BTW, my wife is a germafob and she wipes down everything multiple times on planes and will not allow the vent to be blown on her.

Grouper
    Yeah, after the first couple of days I was pretty much down for the count. I could not believe the amount of standing water - on a desert island. Yeah, right - no such thing as climate change.

To add insult to injury, when I got back to Newark I found that my car had been jimmied and my EZ-Pass and registration had been robbed. Given all the crap that Bonaire takes re. petty theft, maybe I should start a thread bashing Newark. LOL
    Abandon all hope ...

Thread bashing Newark started a long time ago. You are probably just numb the the comments by now.

JK. Hope you are better now and looking forward to that next trip.

Grouper
    While I was sick I swore I was never taking a diving trip again, never traveling out of the country, never ... Yeah right. I'm already conniving for my next trip to Bonaire. Going to do it different this time though.

I'm too old for 2 weeks of intensive diving so I'm going to cut back to 1 week of mixed diving and snorkeling. I'm going to stay at Hamlet Oasis for the house reef (Cliff). Unlimited air on an ala-carte basis days that I feel up to 2 or more dives. Otherwise I'll just rent a single tank for the days dive. Renting only a scooter for transport and diving just the DFB sites where I can grab a tank and jump in the water (there are 4 of them). Use the scooter to snorkel some sites that I'd not dive because it's too strenuous (1000 Steps, Karpata). Might try to scooter a tank just south of DFB at Port Bonaire to the fuel pier. It's actually a quite wonderful site that few dive. And I'm eating out. Not cooking for myself.

I'm also planning to go to Key Largo for a week of diving, snorkeling, and general fooling around.

My biggest problem right now is finding routes and airlines that will allow acceptable travel to Bonaire. I'm not driving to another location (no more Newark). I'll only leave from Albany, NY. I'm finding it's easy and short (6-7+ hours) to get to Bonaire but 22+ hours to get back. It's going to take some figuring and possibly one-way trips using different airlines and routes. I have time. Won't be going till Jan-Feb 2018. First Key Largo and some trips to the US southwest to sight see.

Looking forward to my club's April/May "Break the Ice" dive. Till then I'll be editing the video I got on this last trip to Bonaire and dreaming.
    Abandon all hope ...

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Key largo is very nice for diving. I spent a week there about seven years ago. Good stuff. Benwood wreck, Duane wreck, Speigsl Grove, molasses reef, Christ of the abyss. I had a great time in Largo.

Try to dive the Benwood during the day, and then ask to go back as a night dive, to the same spot. Wonderful, especially with a full moon and calm seas.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information