Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to stay and dive in Cozumel??

Grouper Founding Member
    Images

Where to stay and dive in Cozumel??

I'm a diver. My wife does not. She will snorkel.

I'm thinking about booking a trip to Coz in late march. I obviously want to dive - a place where I can walk to the dive boat with my gear would be ideal. My wife likes the all-inclusive hotels, with a nice beach, nice pool, massage, etc.

Can you recommend a hotel and dive operation that will accommodate my diving needs, and my wife's need for an all inclusive resort?

v/r
    Doug
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Guppy
    Doug, you will want to stay at one of the AI resorts south of town. They have great snorkeling and most any dive op will pick up at the hotel pier.

some resorts are iberostar, occidental or Allegro.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Thanks. I'm looking at Iberostar and Dressel Divers now
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Thanks. I'm looking at Iberostar and Dressel Divers now

I booked it...Iberostar Cozumel. Now....to pre pay for some dives, and save 20 percent.

Grouper
    Images
    I stayed at Iberostar 3 times and used Dressel for my afternoon dives. Iberostar is a great hotel for the money. The food is pretty good. I was more than satisfied with the quality and variety. Since I have stayed at Iberostar I have not booked anywhere else. Rooms are small but very clean and modern. House keeping staff is on it.

There isn't much snorkeling. It's all sand with a few fish. Punta Sur is right around the corner. They have some coral heads and a pretty nice beach. It worth the trip.

Dressel has large boats with up to 15-20 divers per boat. (don't quote me on the number might be 10-15). They drop you in small groups with a single dive master. They have free nitrox. It was free 2015; not sure now.

Beach is really nice with tons of shade places to relax.

Have a great trip!

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clernix View Post
    I stayed at Iberostar 3 times and used Dressel for my afternoon dives. Iberostar is a great hotel for the money. The food is pretty good. I was more than satisfied with the quality and variety. Since I have stayed at Iberostar I have not booked anywhere else. Rooms are small but very clean and modern. House keeping staff is on it.

There isn't much snorkeling. It's all sand with a few fish. Punta Sur is right around the corner. They have some coral heads and a pretty nice beach. It worth the trip.

Dressel has large boats with up to 15-20 divers per boat. (don't quote me on the number might be 10-15). They drop you in small groups with a single dive master. They have free nitrox. It was free 2015; not sure now.

Beach is really nice with tons of shade places to relax.

Have a great trip!

I've got the flights, hotel, and diving all booked now. I'm planning a minimum of 12 dives with Dressel. The only 'bad' part I see about Iberostar is that it is about 4 miles (?) from the 'downtown' area of Cozumel. A bit to far to walk. We plan on getting a cab ride at least one night and spending some time in the town, exploring. I don't really want to mess around with a car. I just want to relax and dive for a few days.

Wife wants to take the ferry over to the mainland and do the ruins trip. I told her to book that for the day before we fly home. I've seen ruins in Belize and other places. Doesn't excite me that much, but it's something to do with my wife besides sit on the beach.

I'm starting to pull out all my dive gear, inspect everything and make sure all is good. Found out my fourth log book is nearly full, so I ordered a couple new books. High pressure hose on my reg had some pin holes, found during annual inspection. bought and installed a new hose. Updated my safety sausage with a new whistle I found while pouring thru my box of dive stuff. Normally I wait until about week before the trip to get all of this stuff inspected and ready. I figured I start early this time. STill deciding if I want to take a 2/3mil shorty or a 3mil full suit. Leaning toward the full suit. I've got a lavacore shirt that a wear all the time now. I think lavacore is mostly marketing hype, but it is a little thicker than a rash guard, and I got it half price.

Megalodon
    Images
    Sounds like you have things well in hand. How long until you leave?

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Sounds like you have things well in hand. How long until you leave?

Coz trip is in late March.

It's going to be a bit crazy for the next few weeks. I'm in (work related) training for a few days, and on two business trips before I leave for Cozumel. I was working 60 hour weeks in December and January. Things have slowed down a bit, 50 hour weeks for now. I don't mind the long hours in the winter time, but when the warm weather hits, I try to do 45 hours or less. Would be great if I got paid for all of the extra time.

"Salary" is just a slang word for "you're expected to work at LEAST 45 hours per week".

Barracuda
    Images
    Ask your DM's about where to go in town to eat. We've always had really good tips from them and the price is alot cheaper than near the shore front. Loberistas was great.

Grouper
    La Perlita!!!
    Say When....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information