Thread: New Brigade, Not in Love with It - Help!

Images

New Brigade, Not in Love with It - Help!

So it finally happened. After 400 dives, my Genesis Cobra Jacket Style BCD gave out doing a back flip off a boat in Bonaire none the less. (Whole tank mount came apart).

So, after lurking on this forum for years I told myself when it comes time for a new BCD, I'm going for the Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys. I simply have heard many say how much they love the Brigade. I Ordered it over Christmas and got it mid January. This last weekend the Midwest was enjoying 70+ degrees so I got my first dives in. My first dive was drysuit diving and I felt very constricted with the BC; so, I switched to wetsuit and it was better but still issues.

My biggest issue is it feels very small to me (It's an XL BCD, just like my Genesis) and the pockets are sitting toward my back near my kidneys. I did have to adjust the cumberbun to a larger size (what can I say, I'm not 20 anymore) Is this normal for a back inflate type of BCD? I wonder since I'm so use to the jacket style that tends to wrap around you, if the back inflate feel so much different?

The other issue is that where the power inflater attaches to the bladder in back, it sits on the back and not on the shoulder - Is that normal for a back inflate?

My final issue is how the weights work. I assumed that this had integrated weight pockets. It kinda does, but the weights just sit in a pouch inside a pocket. The bottom to the pocket is open and a plastic cord is woven through. If you want to ditch your weights you pull the cord and pulls the plastic cord out allowing the weights to fall through the bottom of the pockets. I'm not in love with that technology.

I really want to love this BCD and I'm wondering if it is simply a "have to get use to kind of thing" and a different feel from a jacket style BCD?

Snagel

Images
    What don't you like about the weight dump system?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Probably just because it is a little different. My first thought was if somehow the plastic cord breaks or the cord slides out my weights are out. Actually, I don't think that could happen very easily. Because of the way the pockets sit back, I'm pretty sure there is no way I'm going to be able to pull the weights out if I need to (i.e. handing them up to a boat operator if needed). I guess no issues with the system other than it's different. I wonder how long the plastic cord is going to last. Definitely, something I want to keep an eye on so I don't have a failure and go sailing up unexpectedly.

Shark
    Hi. I had one. I liked it.

It sounds like you just need to switch out a couple of parts to get the right fit.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Shark
    Also, you really need those yellow weight pouches with that BC.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Images
    I do have the yellow weight pouches and they are a must.

Thanks,

S. Nagel

Images
    After viewing several video's and seeing how the BCD appears to fit on others, I think it is fitting properly and it's just a matter of a different style BCD for me. I never realized the difference between how a jacket style and back inflate fits. Not saying either one is better or worse, just different. I started my scuba career using a jacket style so that is what I am use to and I'm sure I'll get use to this style.

TadPole
    In my opinion the Ripcord weight system is the best integrated system available. It is dead nuts simple with special weight pockets to purchase at upwards of $100 apiece if you loose one.

Images
    I hope I don't lose one at that price. I think the "simple" is what got my first reaction questioning it. Yes, if you need to dump pull the cord and away you go. I just don't want some unexpected drop in weights due to a busted cord or a dislodged cord. I think it will work, just different.

Thread Information