Thread: St. Maarten Dive Information?

Images

St. Maarten Dive Information?

We are heading out on a new adventure in August 2017 to the island of St. Maarten. We have never been there although we have an extensive dive resume of all the traditional dive locations - Mexico, Bonaire, Roatan, etc. (We understand the basic of Dive Travel Vacations). Anyway, looking for any and all information others might have on St. Maarten. We are staying at the Belair Beach Hotel using part of our time share.

Any info is appreciated since this is entirely new to us. Specifically, any information on the diving and dive operators is what we are looking at trying to book our diving.

Thanks in advance,

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    Have fun Snagel!

I've been there twice on cruise stops and dove both times with Scuba Fun ( http://www.scubafundivecenter.com/) They are located fairly close to the cruise docks in Phillipsburgh. The shop is well run and well organized given that most of their clients come from the cruise ships, but on both my visits, locals and land based divers joined us.

They did a good job with us - 2 tank dives both trips. There is some good diving to be had. The vis is not as good as say, Coz given where the island is and We dove more on the windward side to the southeast. There were a number of great coral head and fields with some great swim throughs and a few wrecks. While the boat I was on had 12 folks, we didn't share any dive spot with other boats/charters.

The only detractor I will give for the SE area is that there's some impressive wave action as the day goes on, due to the trade winds blowing. Last dive, last trpi was 5'-6' seas trying to get back on the boat.

The dives we did in the Marine sanctuary were very nice - except for the afternoon waves. I can's give much on the other dive shops, since i only worked with Scuba fun.

Have a great time though.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Thanks Navy. I've been emailing all the shops and getting information. They all seem very good. Interesting that they all talk about 2 tank morning dives and back by noonish. I wonder if they all want to get the diving in early due to the waves in the afternoon. Thanks again.

Snagel

Thread Information