Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egypt Again!!!!

Barracuda
    Images
    Well, we finally got our act together & decided on some dates for our trip. Feb 13 or 15th leave & get back 7 or 8 March. I may go a couple of days early to see some things or stay later. But we are doing 4 days diving in Dahab with Dive Urge and 3 day with King Snefru mini safari live aboard to dive the Thilstegorm. Then a land tour with a Nile cruise.

Grouper
    Images
    No ladders but even I was able to get back into the zodiac when there (no upper body strength 🤗 ) You hand up your weight belt and bcd, then use your fins to kick and arms to pull yourself up and in. Others in the boat will help pull you in if needed. I had the technique down by the second day.
    We dId a liveaboard with Sea Serpent Fleet and had an awesome time. Would love to go back!

Barracuda
    Images
    That's way I did it as a kid with my tank and wieght belt still on. But 40 years later I'm not as strong. I'll make it somehow. I've had to learn to get up without kneeling and deal with a left shoulder that won't take much right now.

Barracuda
    Images
    got our air tickets there and back. Have reserved our Dahab diving and waiting to hear back from the dive boat people. Our land portion is set up with flights, hotels, drivers ect. so if the boat falls thru we just dive more at Dahab. So we are set to go. Except getting gear serviced and batteries changed and maybe me losing some weight????

Barracuda
    Images
    We have got our mini safari out of Sharm. Senfro Dive. 3 days diving with the Thiltlegorm on the 2nd day. Really have wanted to dive this WW2 freighter sunk by German dive bombers.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Egypt seems so very exotic. I'm jealous. But, honestly, that part of the world seems a bit scary to me.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Barracuda
    Images
    Honestly. been there 6 times and the only time I was concerned is when their security had us drive in convoy ( along with 20 buses) at 5 mph from one site to another. Last time we went to 3 different villages along the Nile where there were no tourist sites. No one even paid us any attention. We went for a walk along thge bank and 2 kids wanted to show us a baby donkey. Took us to his house and their father invited us in for tea with the family. The were very gracious and welcoming.

If you have a good guide they will refuse any request that might put you in danger. Our guide knows how we like to get off the beaten path but will tell us NO at times. You are in more danger driving to the airport than travelling in Egypt. Right now I'd stay away from Alexandria and the western dessert plus Northern Sinai at all times ( near Israel).
    If you want more info on the land or dive op pm me & I'll get you my email. Go to Amazing Global Travel on facebook or website. This is our guide's american contact. I alway book with him direct.
    By the way small group ( less than 5) is best for seeing lots of things versus a bus tour that is always herding goats in & out of everywhere.

Barracuda
    Images
    As we get closer to going I am getting more excited. attempted to put on my wet suit. Guess I've gained some weight so a new suit is in order. Actually I have an older 5 mil farmer john bottom that fits me. It would just leave my arms exposed. Think I'll use it as I've always used a 3mil shorty. Maybe cut the legs off just below the knee, maybe?
    Will be taking my regs in for service this month. Would love to get a quick dive in somewhere. Local health club with pool won't allow me in with scuba gear. Grrr!!!! Oh well I get a check dive in Dahab anyway, as they insist on one the 1st day.

Barracuda
    Images
    Have gotten confirmation on the Dahab diving and the boat diving ( takes so many to go) My brother & opted for single supplement so as to have a little more room onboard to store our stuff as we will be on a land trip for approx 2 weeks before and then leaving as soon as we degass in sharm.

Barracuda
    Images
    Trying something out different on this trip. We're prepaying everything we can before going. That way we won't be carrying large amounts of cash ( when we took 13 people on tour we had over 30,000 on us ) not very happy about it.
    The other thing is I've always waited to get my tip money (1,5,10,20's). This time I've been putting it back a little at a time. Surprised at how quick it adds up and I haven't missed it. Checked this morning and found I have almost 1200 in small bills plus some larger ones .
    I've found I get better service when I tip. Thinking on the live aboard about tipping the cook 50% of his tip at the beggining, maybe the whole crew telling them it is only a partial payment.
    Looking foward to this trip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information