Thread: Mini Safari out of Sharm

Barracuda
    Images

Mini Safari out of Sharm

We are looking at King Snefro Diving out of Sharm for a 3 day mini safari. Get to make 2 dives on the Thilstegorm.

Barracuda
    Images
    We area booked for 20 day trip to Egypt. Land will include Cairo,Luxor, And Aswan with a Nile Cruise. Then 3 1/2 days of diving at Dahab with Dive Urge. Then 4 days on King Snefro 5 for mini live aboard. Middle day will be SS Thilstegorm, a WW2 British freighter sunk by German bombers. ( bucket list item)
    This is our 6th trip to Egypt with diving on 5 of them.
    Dive Urge is our go to place in Dahab, Small group, individual attention and a great hotel included.very laid back place except for the diving part. They are very serious about safety and are not shy about your safety. Hopefully King Snefro 5 will be just as good.

Barracuda
    Images
    Getting our own dive guide on the Live aboard. Not sure if it's really needed but we are. We also did the single supplement as the cabins were small and no where to store anything. We may end up having an extra suitcase (besides a backpack and empty diving bag) if the hotel won't store it. Plus from the looks of the open floor my brother & I wouldn't be able to get out of the bunks at the same time. It wasn't that much for a little space. We're doing it the rest of the trip anyway.

Barracuda
    Images
    5 days to go.

Barracuda
    Images
    I know this is kinda late. We made our land trip with no problems except it wasn't long enough.
    We arrived at Dive Urge in Dahab early enough in the day to do our check dive. Discovered our recentlty serviced equiptment needed some fixing ( tighten hose and replace another hose that was leaking) My brother came down with Tut's Revenge and missed most of the diving at Dahab. I had a DM to myself for 4 days of shore diving. This is my favorite place to dive and stay. It was our 4th time. Saw lots of fish and coral plus 3 spotted rays and serveral large stone fish. On one dive it became a pick up trash dive. We picked up 2 large bags of plastic, fishing line and cans. wasn't planned just happened. Dive Urge took great care of my brother including getting him to a doctor who got him back to diving on our second part.
    We left Dahab and headed to Sharm where we were met by out DM ( Yassam) from The King Snefro 5. Got onboard and was given a briefing about the boat, safety, and the expected route. After spending the night & meeting the other divers we left Sharm. Did a check dive on a reef with lots of fish. Stopped later that afternoon for another wall dive. The next morning we arrived at the Thilstegorm. The current was running pretty strong and we descended using a line. Once there Our DM decided to do the inside first due to the current. We saw trucks, motorcycles, rifles,ammo,boots , helmets stored in the holds. left the hold headed to the stern and cruised over the bomb damaged area. Then to the anti aircraft guns. It was the best dive I have ever done. as we were carried back to the guide line we saw the outside decks. After surfacing we were both tired so we did not do the second dive, Our DM went with the other divers to split the workload.that night we did a night dive , It was dissapointing as there were no fish or critters out. The next day we dove on the "toilet " wreck. Thousands of commodes and shower bases litter the ocean floor from a modern wreck . Had a pipe fish swim just above my head for the whole dive, even sliding down my mask. Then another dive on the Dunraven a 19th century wood ship. Ok dive.
    A note about King Snefro 5. Boat has room for 10 divers in twin berths ( bunk beds) serveral have private bathroom. Very little storage in cabin. A safe is in each cabin. Hot water for shower. AC worked good, We opted for single supplement for $150 and it was worth it. My cabin had maybe 3 ft by 4 ft floor in front of the bunks. But a huge bathroom. The lounge area was nice but cramped with 7 divers. The dining room was also cramped. The food was great and lots of it. After each dive there was hot drinks and a snack. The only bad thinjg I can think of ,there were no bathrooms on the main deck. You had to go to your cabin and you were not suspposed to be wet inside.
    The crew was super. DM's gave really good briefings and matched the diving for the divers ( my brother & I being older & slower). There were crew members helping you put on your gear and taking it off. Helping with your fins. Nothing was any trouble for them, always a smile. They even payed attention when we asked that our air not be turned on after a refill. We have to add water to our reg hose and it must be done at 0 psi. They respected our desired but would check our air on the dive platform as we were fixing to do our giant step.
    I would recomend Both Dive Urge & King Snefro Fleet as dive ops.

Thread Information