Thread: Dive Rite Hurricane

TadPole

Dive Rite Hurricane

Has anyone tried one of these? One of my local dive stores is closing shop and trying to get rid of inventory. I can get a crazy deal on one (retails for $599 and will sell it for $375 to clear inventory). Should I pull the trigger? I'm scared there won't be parts or alot of backing from Dive Rite seeming I haven't heard much at all about this reg.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod Charles R's Avatar
    Images
    Dive rite makes great Regs Larry sells them here on ST and thats a great deal I would pull the trigger I dive the dive rite 2500 and love them
    "If you can't get wet doing it, it can't be fun"

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    I've heard great reports on the Hurricane. IIRC it's a cold water reg. Sounds like a great price. I'd buy it.

FD

Shark Founding Member
    You would not go wrong on that deal!
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Barracuda
    I have three of the DR 2500's - great regs. I've look at the hurricanes and they got better reviews the the 2500's. You can't go wrong.

Also, for the backing of Dive Rite - no problems. Dive rite is a large established company with a good history of support. (Heck, I talked to Lamar Hires personally when I was looking at drysuits and ended up getting a Dive Rite)

Guppy
    Absolutely Disagree! DiveRite makes terrible products and the Hurricane is no exception!

You should immediately package that troublemaker and send it to me for proper disposal. I guarantee no one else will be bothered by it once in my possession and security.

TadPole
    I didn't make it in time. Yesterday he had two left. I stopped by on my way home tonight to pick one up and it was too late, store was cleaned out. Oh well, someone got a great deal.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Absolutely Disagree! DiveRite makes terrible products and the Hurricane is no exception!

You should immediately package that troublemaker and send it to me for proper disposal. I guarantee no one else will be bothered by it once in my possession and security.
    I agree, and if you want you could give me the lds's number and I will call him my self and give him a piece of my mind and a chance to dispose of the rest of his Dive-rite stock.
    No Manatee's Were Molested During The Creation Of This Post

Grouper Founding Member
    Actually Dive rite doesn't make regulators, they are made by Beuchat which is a French company that does makes outstanding regulators. The Dive Rite versions have some minor adjustment made especially for them, but it is essentially a Beuchat.

TadPole
    I know this is an old thread, but it came up on google, and I have some insights that might be helpful. I have a Beuchat VX200 reg, and since service kits are hard to come by, I thought I would try a dive rite hurricane kit, since they look the same. I have never believed the marketing shpiel that there have been some internal changes. I mean that would defeat the object of rebadging, and cost as much as building the reg from scratch. the only things changeable are the o-rings, the springs and/or the HP seat.
    Well the 2 service kits are identical Beuchat and Dive Rite, both in my grubby little paws, and I rebuilt the reg with the dive rite kit and it performs exactly as before.
    In summary the point of the post is that if parts or service kits become scarce, form either source, the other supplier will suffice. I am relieved that I now have 2 sources of service kits.

Thread Information