Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody dove with Nekton Cruises?

Barracuda Founding Member

Anybody dove with Nekton Cruises?

My son and I would like to do a liveaboard. I find the Nekton appealing because of the extra stability, (my son is prone to motion sickness) and the fact that I can drive to the departure point rather than fly. Has anyone dove with them? If so, how was your experience?
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

I going out with them in the end of Oct. We choose them because two of the people we dive with went on a trip with them and couldn't stop talking about how good it was.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    My son and I would like to do a liveaboard. I find the Nekton appealing because of the extra stability, (my son is prone to motion sickness) and the fact that I can drive to the departure point rather than fly. Has anyone dove with them? If so, how was your experience?
    I've been on two Nekton cruises, NW Bahamas and the Caymans. I thoroughly enjoyed both. Boat is stable (but not very fast). Food is good. Crew is very helpful and friendly. I have heard a couple of complaints about condensation in the cabins but I have never experienced that.

The diving is great. If you do the night dive, you can regularly get five dives per day in. But that is not required. Dive as much or as little as you like. There are not a lot of silly rules. Plan your own dives. Dive your computer. They do want you take a surface marker bouy (SMB) with you each time. They will furnish you with one if you don't have your own. There is a sign out/in sheet with dive duration and max depth. They will chide you if you forget the first time. I don't know what happens if you forget a second time. Your first alcoholic beverage of the day marks the last dive of the day. They serve no alcohol but have no problem if you bring your own aboard. If you smoke, they will ask you to smoke in a designated area on the sun deck (top deck) and to throw the butts in an ash tray or butt can.

Nitrox seems a little expensive to me but there is no problem if you are diving air.

Dive briefings are good with a map of each site. If you are short a buddy some time, you can usually find a crew member to dive with.

I give Nekton high marks and a good recommendation.

Art

Shark Founding Member
    Been on three Nekton cruises...Belize, NW Bahamas, and Cay Sal Banks. I recommend them highly for anyone considering a liveaboard trip. If you have any specific questions, please ask...I'm sure they'll be answered quickly and painlessly.

As far as motionsickness, if your son is prone to it he'll still want to bring some medication just in case. Although the boat moves differently and less than a v-hull boat, it's still on the ocean and does move. When we were in Belize a big storm came up and while we were eating dinner (no plates moving, just a gentle rocking motion), we watched the Peter Hughes boat behind us disappear and reappear in the waves, pitching and yawing something awful. It was remarked by more than one person that nobody on that boat was eating dinner that night!

As far as nitrox is concerned, we didn't use it in Belize but did in NW Bahamas and Cay Sal. We felt that it was well worth the extra money since our nitrogen loading was so much less, and with doing 4-5 dives a day we liked it for the safety. When we dive nitrox we typically dive somewhere between the air and nitrox tables to get a little more NDL, but still retain the extra safety factor.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Thank you, just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Comet, if you would be willing to give me an update after your trip I would really appreciate it.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

Thank you, just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Comet, if you would be willing to give me an update after your trip I would really appreciate it.
    where do you live?

A longer trip report about our Cay Sal trip last summer. Zenagirl is right, the boat still does rock some. Not as much as other boats it's size and more of a front/back pitching. And SWATH only works when the boat is sitting still, they pump it out prior to moving.

We had one afternoon/night dive canceled due to an approaching storm and the next morning several people commented that they were sick. My buddy, who normally takes otc meds for boat diving, didn't take anything all week afaik.

The Pilot docks in an industrial area so you'll want to leave your car at the FLL airport long-term parking and have them pick you up. The van takes you downtown to eat and your bags to the boat. They don't really want anyone boarding till after dinner since they clean/prep the boat that afternoon.
    Last edited by diversteve; 09-29-2007 at 14:55.

Grouper
    Images
    Just a clarification, not a flame:

The SWATH hullform works great both when still and when in motion. You pay a penalty for the increased resistance from the SWATH hullform (larger wetted surface area). This means it takes more fuel to push the boat through the water.

The solution: pump out the ballast tanks which makes the boat sit high in the water and act more like a regular catamaran. This saves in fuel costs since the resistance goes down. Once you are on location, or if the weather gets bad, you put water back in the ballast tanks to have a nice stable platform.

What most other have said is correct, the SWATH hullform has much better seakeeping (ship motions) than other hullforms when designed correctly. I used to work with a guy that helped design the Nekton boats. They are ugly as all get out, but I've heard great things about the way they ride.

-BW

Quote Originally Posted by CrzyJay456 View Post
    where do you live?
    Nebraska,

BUT...I have a company car and they pay for the gas...SO...It could save my son/I and my Buddy/Son quite a bit to drive... Plus we can take whatever gear we want that way.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

TadPole
    Hi Flatliner,
    we have done two Nekton cruises - Cayman and Belize - and are going in December on the Puerto Rico/St.Croix itinerary.
    Here is a link to some trip reports and pictures from our trips last year:
    www.travel.billandterrie.com/2006/Belize
    and
    www.travel.billandterrie.com/2006/Cayman

I think it would be a great trip for you and your son.
    Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information