Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GUE Fundamentals

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venio View Post
    Now, the number of my dives should not be considered as a merit of my skills.
    I agree, but there is merit in racking up some more dives before taking the class. I would consider around 100 dives to be the point at which a diver will be ready, but obviously this varies from individual to individual.

Buoyancy and the ability to maintain composure and trim while task loaded are the most important things you should have nailed down before taking the class. If you're struggling AT ALL with your buoyancy, you'll be spending far too much time working on that to get as much as you otherwise could from the class.

The difference between tech and rec passes are intent and gear, and the standards to which you will be held. For a tech pass, your allowed buoyancy swing during tasks will be considerably smaller, trim variance allowable will be smaller, ALL of your kicks will need to be working, not just basically on the right path, and you'll need to take the class in a drysuit, with doubles and a canister light.
    As I've stated on numerous times I'm in Intro to Tech where I do shoot bag in horizontal position, use frog kick, modified frog kick and helicopter turn. I have done s-drills and v-drills, for now only with an H-valve steel HP 120. The only thing I've not used is dry suit. I was not aware it's required for the DIR-F tech pass and canister light. BTW, I was not planing to go get the fundies this coming weekend. I was just trying to get enough info and find DIR diver in the DFW area so I can dive with them and get a better response on how my skills are developing, where do I need to stress more and so on. all thing that one cannot get over the forum.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Now, the number of my dives should not be considered as a merit of my skills.
    I agree, but there is merit in racking up some more dives before taking the class. I would consider around 100 dives to be the point at which a diver will be ready, but obviously this varies from individual to individual.
    Which class? Tech 1/Cave 1 or Fundies?

For Tech 1/Cave 1, we don't even need to bother stating minimum number of dives. The pre-requisite of tech rating from fundies will pretty much weed out the folks who aren't ready.

For Fundies, I personally feel like most open water divers could benefit by taking the class right out of the gate for the following reasons:

- They get to see an alternate (and perhaps better) way to do gas sharing.
    - They get to learn real gas planning as opposed to "back in the boat with 500psi" (I don't really know what most teachers teach but this is what I was taught in my open water class)
    - They get to see alternate propulsion techniques
    - They get to see "proper" trim as defined by GUE
    - They get to learn about the GUE gear configuration before they invest thousands in "traditional" recreational gear
    - They get to learn about GUE style diving from a qualified instructor (as opposed to a bunch of strangers from the internet)

The class is a struggle either way, particularly with the tech rating requirements. Why wait and learn a bunch of stuff that you might have to "unlearn" later?

Barracuda
    I can't comment directly on the fundies class since I haven't taken it. I will comment on the best means to prepare for tech diving though as I got to watch my wife go through it.

First, number of dives has some meaning but its not the be all end all either. It should be noted though that less dives means less expierence and it doesn't matter how good your skills are, expierence is still needed.

Now, for expierence. There is a big difference in diving with a bunch of tech/cave divers regularly and diving with any old vacation diver if your goal is in tec/cave. Diving with those who do it will surely humble even the more arrogant OW diver. I had advanced nitrox, friend tec nitrox when we started cave training and our instructor made us look like rote amatuers. This is a GOOD thing. It raises the bar. Its hard to know where to go without some examples.

So I say, if your interested in fundies - take it. Screw the tec-pass/rec-pass idea/details and go for the information. Who knows, you may end up with other agencies because you like thier philosophies better. (I do personally). You'll still be a better diver for going through the GUE class.

And Lastly for the 'Caves=death' comment. You'll dead on. Stay out of them (its nicer with less people around)

As I've stated on numerous times I'm in Intro to Tech where I do shoot bag in horizontal position, use frog kick, modified frog kick and helicopter turn. I have done s-drills and v-drills, for now only with an H-valve steel HP 120. The only thing I've not used is dry suit. I was not aware it's required for the DIR-F tech pass and canister light. BTW, I was not planing to go get the fundies this coming weekend. I was just trying to get enough info and find DIR diver in the DFW area so I can dive with them and get a better response on how my skills are developing, where do I need to stress more and so on. all thing that one cannot get over the forum.
    Venio,

I think if you ask 5 different people about when to take fundies, you might get 5 different answers. I have stated my opinion on it so take that for whatever it is worth. Another good idea is to talk to a GUE instructor and get their advice on it.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
    Venio,

I think if you ask 5 different people about when to take fundies, you might get 5 different answers. I have stated my opinion on it so take that for whatever it is worth. Another good idea is to talk to a GUE instructor and get their advice on it.
    What I really want is to get in touch with some DIR divers from my area. Apparently they enter not dwell in this forum or there are none in the the area. Hope I'm wrong in both.

One of the problems in DIR-F is that there are no instructors/classes in the Great State of Texas. So I'll have to get on a trip just for the class. Then if I got provisional I'll have to go back on a trip to get passed. I'll try my best to get as much prepared for the class before I even talk to instructor about taking it, because I don't really want to get on a second trip plus I hate to not pass things, just my ego of a rocket scientist.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    ... and you'll need to take the class in a drysuit...
    Could someone confirm on that. I was just reading the required equipment list in the GUE Standards but I didn't find anything about drysuit. It only mentions doubles and canister light for the tech pass.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

What I really want is to get in touch with some DIR divers from my area. Apparently they enter not dwell in this forum or there are none in the the area. Hope I'm wrong in both.
    I might know someone. Give me a few days to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Venio
    One of the problems in DIR-F is that there are no instructors/classes in the Great State of Texas. So I'll have to get on a trip just for the class. Then if I got provisional I'll have to go back on a trip to get passed. I'll try my best to get as much prepared for the class before I even talk to instructor about taking it, because I don't really want to get on a second trip plus I hate to not pass things, just my ego of a rocket scientist.
    I tell you, every single person I talk to about fundies has the same mentality. Gotta pass it the first time around. I think that sets you up for a couple of pitfalls. Not the least of which is that you might wind up learning to do it in a way that is different than what GUE would teach you. That and you wind up going to a class to pass rather than going to a class to learn. Anyway, I understand your situation. So enough from me on that topic.

With regards to asking a GUE instructor for advice, you should feel free to do so. The entire list is available in GUE's website. If you want to do the shotgun approach, you can send an email to quest@gue.com. All of the GUE instructors are subscribed to that mail list and you'll likely get more than your fair share of good info.

Grouper
    Why do you want to get into "tech" diving?

Are you bored with recreational diving ,or do you just have spare cash burning a hole in your pocket?

... and you'll need to take the class in a drysuit...
    Could someone confirm on that. I was just reading the required equipment list in the GUE Standards but I didn't find anything about drysuit. It only mentions doubles and canister light for the tech pass.
    Hmm... this might actually be an implied requirement.

GUE believes in diving a balanced rig. As such, they discourage divers from diving double steel tanks with a wetsuit. So presumably, you could take fundies in double aluminum tanks and a wetsuit. I don't know for sure though.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kobalap View Post

I might know someone. Give me a few days to look into it.
    That's awesome, I appreciate it!
    Last edited by Venio; 10-02-2007 at 18:35.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information