Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GUE Fundamentals

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    ... and you'll need to take the class in a drysuit...
    Could someone confirm on that. I was just reading the required equipment list in the GUE Standards but I didn't find anything about drysuit. It only mentions doubles and canister light for the tech pass.
    Hmm... this might actually be an implied requirement.

GUE believes in diving a balanced rig. As such, they discourage divers from diving double steel tanks with a wetsuit. So presumably, you could take fundies in double aluminum tanks and a wetsuit. I don't know for sure though.
    That's probably true. Drysuits are encouraged, however, unless the water is just too warm to handle it. In SoCal, you won't find anyone looking for a tech pass wearing a wetsuit.

Venio, I wasn't denigrating your experience, in fact if you re-read what I wrote, I specifically mentioned that everyone has different thresholds. I wrote that specifically to differentiate my post from the one above that jumped all over you for your "lack of experience".

I agree with the "don't go into it looking for a pass right off the bat" concept. I sympathize with your need to travel, however, with no local instructors. Still, unless you are seeking further training from GUE, a "pass" is meaningless. Learning the skills in the class... or at least, learning what the skills should look like, in the class... is the most important thing.
    Last edited by CompuDude; 10-02-2007 at 19:20.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    CompuDude, I never thought you are denigrating my experience. I sould also add that you are one of the people one this board who's responsible for me joining the dark side . I'm pretty pleased with ALL of the responses on the topic and find them quite enlightening.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

TadPole
    When I took my fundies class I was did it in a 3mm wetsuit and dbl AL 80s--a very balanced rig for the class. I'll be taking my Tech 1 soon (fingers crossed) and plan to do it in the same rig. There is no requirement for a dry suit per se, but you need an "Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure."

Also, IMHO DIR-F (rec) will teach you the basic fundamental skills every diver needs and should have. Taking it before you have established bad habits would make the learning curve easier.

The best thing would be to talk to a fundies instructor and ask about it. He'll in form you of the requirements and discuss everything with you. Telling him/her what your long term goals are will guide the discussion.
    (When I took my fundies I drove to Fla for the course. I'll take Tech 1 with the same instructor)

Grouper
    Images
    Could someone that have taken or even passed this course to give some more inside on what to expect from it. I would love to take it the near future.

Thanks.
    I can tell you the WHOLE course is dependent upon the instructor you get. Get a good one and you have a good class, get a bad one and you get a bad class.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanDiver View Post
    Could someone that have taken or even passed this course to give some more inside on what to expect from it. I would love to take it the near future.

Thanks.
    I can tell you the WHOLE course is dependent upon the instructor you get. Get a good one and you have a good class, get a bad one and you get a bad class.
    They're all good instructors. The question is, whether their particular manner and instruction style is good for you. Someone can be a GREAT instructor and still have personality conflicts or teaching styles that don't interface well with a small percentage of unlucky people.

If you're the person I'm thinking of on another board, you took part of a DIR-F and had a bad experience with it... but the general consensus of the post-analysis seemed to be a large part of the issue lay with the fact that you were trying out new (and very different) gear (to you) for the very first time and were having buoyancy issues that prevented you from gaining the most benefit from the class. There's a lesson to be learned there, certainly, which is get comfortable in the gear FIRST and have your buoyancy nailed down in that gear before taking the class, if you want to gain the most benefit from the course. But that really doesn't have to do with whether or not the instructor was actually a good instructor or not.

Shark
    As an alternative to travelling, consider getting some interested divers together and splitting the cost of getting an instructor to come to you. That's what happened with the class I took, and it saved us all a bit of money.

That aside, I'll put in another recommendation for taking the class as a learning experience, and not worrying at first about passing it. If you are able to, great. If you aren't, but want to, you'll have plenty of time to work on your skills before auditing another class. On the other hand, if you leave without the card, you still know what you can improve, and you can better your diving for it's own sake without going though the trouble of getting a card that, in all honesty, most divers and dive operations wouldn't recognise if you showed it to them. Unless you plan to pursue advanced training with GUE, you'll never need it. There are a lot of very good recreational divers out there who don't pass DIR-F on the first (or second) try. It's an intentionally high bar.
    Last edited by MSilvia; 10-04-2007 at 16:53.
    Matt Silvia

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MSilvia View Post
    As an alternative to travelling, consider getting some interested divers together and splitting the cost of getting an instructor to come to you. That's what happened with the class I took, and it saved us all a bit of money.
    Matt, I was thinking about that just I have one small problem. I'm still looking to find ANY DIR interested divers in the DFW area. I got few pointer as of where to look but no one in particular.

I'm definitely looking to get in the GUE Tech classes in once I got more dives. That's the reason I want to take DIR-F.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Shark Founding Member

Wink

[QUOTE=Venio;68073]
    Quote Originally Posted by MSilvia View Post

Matt, I was thinking about that just I have one small problem. I'm still looking to find ANY DIR interested divers in the DFW area. I got few pointer as of where to look but no one in particular.

I'm definitely looking to get in the GUE Tech classes in once I got more dives. That's the reason I want to take DIR-F.
    IMO--

I am in Arlington, Tx..

You are going to find very few true DIR/GUE divers in this area.....and training classes...well you will have to get a group to bring in an instructor or travel.

I have been known to do some technical diving now and then, but are in no way a DIR minded diver.

If you have any questions regarding technical gas diving drop me a PM, I will do my best to help you out.

Best wishes!
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Grouper
    Images
    ... and you'll need to take the class in a drysuit...
    Could someone confirm on that. I was just reading the required equipment list in the GUE Standards but I didn't find anything about drysuit. It only mentions doubles and canister light for the tech pass.
    no drysuit is required

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanDiver View Post

Thanks.
    They're all good instructors. The question is, whether their particular manner and instruction style is good for you. Someone can be a GREAT instructor and still have personality conflicts or teaching styles that don't interface well with a small percentage of unlucky people.

If you're the person I'm thinking of on another board, you took part of a DIR-F and had a bad experience with it... but the general consensus of the post-analysis seemed to be a large part of the issue lay with the fact that you were trying out new (and very different) gear (to you) for the very first time and were having buoyancy issues that prevented you from gaining the most benefit from the class. There's a lesson to be learned there, certainly, which is get comfortable in the gear FIRST and have your buoyancy nailed down in that gear before taking the class, if you want to gain the most benefit from the course. But that really doesn't have to do with whether or not the instructor was actually a good instructor or not.
    well contrary to your view, there are indeed bad instructors. Second, when asking specific questions relating to class objectives and gear and the reply is merely a link to GUE's website, that is not what I expect of a "good" instructor.
    I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I had a bad instructor, period. I was there, you were not, and your opinion is conjecture whereas my opinion is observation and personal experience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information