Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GUE Fundamentals

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Venio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MSilvia View Post
    As an alternative to travelling, consider getting some interested divers together and splitting the cost of getting an instructor to come to you. That's what happened with the class I took, and it saved us all a bit of money.
    Matt, I was thinking about that just I have one small problem. I'm still looking to find ANY DIR interested divers in the DFW area. I got few pointer as of where to look but no one in particular.

I'm definitely looking to get in the GUE Tech classes in once I got more dives. That's the reason I want to take DIR-F.
    The most active group 'locally' that I know of is in Austin. I'll see if I can find someone to talk to there.

Grouper
    I took this course approx 7 years ago, before they started talking rec/tec passes. I drove 10 hours to be able to take the course and it was worth every bit of it. My instructors were Dave Sweetin and Tyler Moon. Both came up to Virginia from Florida. I had already logged approx 150 dives by then and had intro cave certification, but there was still so much to learn. One of the most interesting aspects of the course is, they video tape the underwater portions and critique them after dinner. This gives you an actual perspective of what you're doing wrong and then they gives you the tools/info to make it right the next day. It's always better to see it for yourself than to hear it from someone else. By no means is this course a walk in the park, and whether or not you pass it makes no difference, but it's defintely worth the investment. You don't have to continue training with GUE to realize the benefits of their program.

TadPole
    Here is a list of DIR divers by location. It is from another forum so i hope that isnt a problem.

DIR Divers by area - ScubaBoard

Guppy
    I found this discussion interesting, I have a similar problem with my closest instructor living 10 hours away but what i have worked out is with 3 of us doing the course it is acctually easier to fly him over. As far as how long one should wait i believe this is a personal thing, i personaly am just about to do fundies i have been diving for a few years now and have a few hundred dives but i believe it is the last 150 or so which have been done using full tech kit(twins,can light,drysuit,etc) that i have learnt the most. I also know a mate who has only just completed his 100th dive but has alreasy passed fundies and tech 1 and i believe this is mainly due to the fact he had the passion, practiced and did start diving full tech gear fairly soon after doing his OW prob aroud his 30th dive or so.

to the op good luck with fundies and enjoy, im sure you'll learn alot as i too expect to
    Sure i could stay on land but i dont wanna!

Grouper
    I would think travel would be somewhat less of an issue for the course if you have the money and time for the courses and equipment in the first place. Finding people to practice with on a more regular basis would be helpful though. Even if you can't find GUE followers in the area, I would imagine you can find more experienced people in the tech diving community to practice with. You could try looking for dive shops that offer tech courses and call around, a lot of people don't use the forums.

TadPole
    Your best bet is to get ahold of an instructor. Check out the forums at Welcome | Global Underwater Explorers also. I had Ed Gabe drive up to Chicago from Kentucky for my class last year. Ed is an awesome teacher and very laid back, not intimidating in the slightest. I can definitely recommend taking the class split up so you have some time to practice what you've learned. I took it split over two weekends. In 10 days I'll be driving down to florida to take Tech 1 with Bob Sherwood.

The # of dives doesn't really have anything to do with fundies, but being able to hold your position in the water column so you can watch demonstrations is very important. If you can't see the demos because you're constantly swimming it makes learning that much harder. I had about 110 dives when I took FWIW.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions, I took the class pretty recently (Nov '09)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information