Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GUE Fundamentals

Grouper Founding Member
    Images

GUE Fundamentals

Could someone that have taken or even passed this course to give some more inside on what to expect from it. I would love to take it the near future.

Thanks.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Venio View Post
    Could someone that have taken or even passed this course to give some more inside on what to expect from it. I would love to take it the near future.

Thanks.
    Venio,

GUE has a complete outline on what this class is about. Have you had a chance to read through it? Below is a copy and paste of a portion of the outline:
    ---------
    Academic Topics

1. GUE organization
    2. Why DIR Fundamentals?
    3. Diving proficiency
    4. Buoyancy and trim
    5. Streamlining and equipment configuration
    6. Propulsion techniques
    7. Situational awareness
    8. Communication
    9. Breathing gas overview
    10. Dive planning and gas management
    11. Diver preparedness

Land Drills & Topics

1. Dive team protocols
    2. S-drill and valve-drill
    3. Equipment fit and function
    4. Propulsion techniques
    5. Pre-dive drills
    6. Surface marker deployment
    ------

The class has two audiences. First is the purely recreational diver just looking to increase proficiency and skill. The second is the diver who looking to advance in GUE's training program (tech and/or cave). Both will get knowledge and show the skills that GUE believes will increase both fun and safety in diving.

There is a feedback mechanism built into the class. In other words, during the class, you will get suggestions on areas of improvement. If you sufficiently improve during the course of the class, the instructor will tell if you have met the bar you are trying to reach (rec pass or tech pass depending). If you have not, the instructor will tell you the areas that you should continue to work on. Divers looking to move forward in GUE's training program will then have to go back to the instructor and ask for a re-eval at some point in the future as the tech pass (or tech rating) is required to get into GUE's Cave 1 or Tech 1 classes. Recreational diver may choose to go back for a re-eval just to get feedback if he or she sees some personal benefit.

There are a lot of different aspects to the class so maybe you could elaborate on what you are looking for?
    Last edited by kobalap; 10-02-2007 at 17:18.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I definitely want to continue on the Tech/Cave track. What is the difference between rec pass and tech pass?

I'm also looking for DIR divers in the DFW area that are willing to dive with me. I am currently taking Intro to Tech with a NAUI instructor in my university. So if there is anyone interested please post here or PM me.

Thanks.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Venio,

The difference between a rec pass and a tech pass is pretty well covered in the
    standards and procedures paper from the GUE website.

Some high level points:
    - The material covered for both the recreational program and the technical program are largely the same. In other words, you learn the some procedures either way.
    - Cave diving and Tech diving are significantly more complex and require additional equipment to execute properly. For example, both type of diving require significant gas reserves in case of emergencies. As such, divers looking to get the tech pass or tech rating will be required to go through the class with the typical equipment used in cave or tech diving. In GUE, this means having a canister light and doubles. Recreational diving does not have a need for this equipment. As such, divers looking to get the recreational pass will only be required to do the class in a single tank. The diver has the option to do the class in doubles and with a canister light even if he/she is only going for the recreational pass.
    - Cave diving and tech diving requires significantly more skill execute. As such, the level of proficiency required to get a tech pass is slightly higher than the bar for recreational pass.

I would like to offer a little bit of unsolicited advice here..

If your profile is correct (<25 dives), I wouldn't even bother thinking about rec pass vs. tech pass. In fact, I wouldn't even think about the evaluation. Just focus on the learning. The most important thing about the fundies class is the education. At less than 25 dives, you are likely many many moons away from pursuing any type of tech diving anyway so to set your focus on a tech pass might actually detract from the more important part of the class.
    Last edited by kobalap; 10-02-2007 at 15:15.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
    Venio,

The difference between a rec pass and a tech pass is pretty well covered in the
    standards and procedures paper from the GUE website.

Some high level points:
    - The material covered for both the recreational program and the technical program are largely the same. In other words, you learn the some procedures either way.
    - Cave diving and Tech diving are significantly more complex and require additional equipment to execute properly. For example, both type of diving require significant gas reserves in case of emergencies. As such, divers looking to get the tech pass or tech rating will be required to go through the class with the typical equipment used in cave or tech diving. In GUE, this means having a canister light and doubles. Recreational diving does not have a need for this equipment. As such, divers looking to get the recreational pass will only be required to do the class in a single tank. The diver has the option to do the class in doubles and with a canister light even if he/she is only going for the recreational pass.
    - Cave diving and tech diving requires significantly more skill execute. As such, the level of proficiency required to get a tech pass is slightly higher than the bar for recreational pass.

I would like to offer a little bit of unsolicited advice here..

If your profile is correct (<25 dives), I wouldn't even bother thinking about rec pass vs. tech pass. In fact, I wouldn't even think about the evaluation. Just focus on the learning. The most important thing about the fundies class is the education. At less than 25 dives, you are likely many many moons away from pursuing any type of tech diving anyway so to set your focus on a tech pass might actually detract from the more important part of the class.
    Now, the number of my dives should not be considered as a merit of my skills. In fact in my not so long carrier as a diver I've seen quite few divers experienced in term of a number of dives that are not that good ether with their buoyancy or ability to work and dive in bad conditions. For example, this past weekend I was at PK where my instructor in Intro to Tech (he already had the same argument as you that my dives were not enough but changed his opinion in half an hour pool session) assigned my to dive with a DM for my first dive. The DM was so confused of the poor vis ~5 ft. that he was nether able to control his depth, bouncing like a rubber ball from 60 to 25 feet depth, nor able to maintain straight line without a visual marker, not sure he new how to use the compass since we were diving in circle the whole time. After few unsuccessful attempts on his side to find the platform, I went ahead and led. I got there from the first attempt and was leading to the sore from there when he as a following buddy lost me.

The reason I wrote all that is that there is no way you can evaluate my skills and ability to complete the DIR-F over the net. If that was so the class would have been taught and graded online .

Thanks for the useful link and quotations.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Grouper
    caves = death.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jo8243 View Post
    caves = death.
    Hmmm... interesting thought!

Now in your line of thoughts.

beds = death.

So many people had have their final moments in their bads. Must be a dangerous place.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Now, the number of my dives should not be considered as a merit of my skills.
    I agree, but there is merit in racking up some more dives before taking the class. I would consider around 100 dives to be the point at which a diver will be ready, but obviously this varies from individual to individual.

Buoyancy and the ability to maintain composure and trim while task loaded are the most important things you should have nailed down before taking the class. If you're struggling AT ALL with your buoyancy, you'll be spending far too much time working on that to get as much as you otherwise could from the class.

The difference between tech and rec passes are intent and gear, and the standards to which you will be held. For a tech pass, your allowed buoyancy swing during tasks will be considerably smaller, trim variance allowable will be smaller, ALL of your kicks will need to be working, not just basically on the right path, and you'll need to take the class in a drysuit, with doubles and a canister light.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Now, the number of my dives should not be considered as a merit of my skills.
    I agree, but there is merit in racking up some more dives before taking the class. I would consider around 100 dives to be the point at which a diver will be ready, but obviously this varies from individual to individual.

Buoyancy and the ability to maintain composure and trim while task loaded are the most important things you should have nailed down before taking the class. If you're struggling AT ALL with your buoyancy, you'll be spending far too much time working on that to get as much as you otherwise could from the class. Though I guess Tech diving has a "cooler" aspect to it compared to vacationish reef diving..

I've already got a strange/crazy/cool hobby in enduro-mountain biking though and that costs enough as it is..

The difference between tech and rec passes are intent and gear, and the standards to which you will be held. For a tech pass, your allowed buoyancy swing during tasks will be considerably smaller, trim variance allowable will be smaller, ALL of your kicks will need to be working, not just basically on the right path, and you'll need to take the class in a drysuit, with doubles and a canister light.
    Personally not a tech diver so I prolly shouldn't even reply but that was well said. When I first got certified I thought I was the shiznit also.. I think most of us do to some extent. I was definitely safer/calmer than the people that instructed me as they were a wee bit unsafe (attempted to take me to ~135ft on ~35% nitrox, randomly went down wrong anchor lines and etc). I used to want to take DM.. Cavern.. whole bunch of classes as quick as I could but eventually just settled in and enjoyed the ride. I've found I much prefer the photography aspect of diving more than anything and would rather be on a reef in a warm tropical ocean than in a cavern of a spring. Though I guess there is a "cooler" aspect to tech diving when compared to vacationish reef diving.

I've already got a strange/crazy/cool hobby in enduro-mountain biking though and that kills my body/mind/wallet enough as it is.
    Last edited by ccarter; 10-02-2007 at 16:43.

Now, the number of my dives should not be considered as a merit of my skills. In fact in my not so long carrier as a diver I've seen quite few divers experienced in term of a number of dives that are not that good ether with their buoyancy or ability to work and dive in bad conditions. For example, this past weekend I was at PK where my instructor in Intro to Tech (he already had the same argument as you that my dives were not enough but changed his opinion in half an hour pool session) assigned my to dive with a DM for my first dive. The DM was so confused of the poor vis ~5 ft. that he was nether able to control his depth, bouncing like a rubber ball from 60 to 25 feet depth, nor able to maintain straight line without a visual marker, not sure he new how to use the compass since we were diving in circle the whole time. After few unsuccessful attempts on his side to find the platform, I went ahead and led. I got there from the first attempt and was leading to the sore from there when he as a following buddy lost me.

The reason I wrote all that is that there is no way you can evaluate my skills and ability to complete the DIR-F over the net. If that was so the class would have been taught and graded online .

Thanks for the useful link and quotations.
    Ah, you know what they say about advice - wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it.

Edit: I just re-read what you wrote here. I think you were trying to say that you had a career as a diver previously?

Anyway, no one is judging your ability to complete the class. The point I am making is that most of the people I have talked to focus on the evaluation. Which really gets in the way of learning. I always tell anybody who asks - when you take fundies (or cave 1 or tech 1), focus on getting the learning in. The pass/fail thing will take care of itself in due time.
    Last edited by kobalap; 10-02-2007 at 17:27.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information