Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow time certification deals?

Grouper Founding Member
    Is there a slow time in diving? Would I find a better deal for getting
    certified at a different time of year, like in the winter? I might wait
    to get certified so my brother-in-law can do it at the same time.
    This might be in another 4-6 months.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Winter is definately a slow time. HOWEVER, I certified in January at Clear Springs. The water temp was mid-40's. Air temp was mid-30's. A good time was NOT had by all. Thanks to Mac MacPherson and Kerry Thomas, they mentored us through the OW dives, kept our spirits up, and brought us through.
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>To get a feeling for this, fill a buck full of cold water, dump in a bag of ice, wait for 10 minutes, insert face. Now, do full mask flood and replace. repeat.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    rick

Grouper Founding Member
    Yeah, but did you get a deal?[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    You may find some stores do it different, but in our situation, the classes thin out, and we do a class every other - or every third week in the winter months. We don't change the pricing, we don't find $25 or $50 one way or the other is enough to get someone to take a class if they normally wouldn't - and as pointed out earlier.... hitting the lakes in January is not that much fun for new divers!

I'd say the prices I've seen in the midwest don't vary based on slow or fast, just the amount offered as Larry said.
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Slow time sometimes means you get a better class if there's fewer students in it.</DIV>
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Guppy Founding Member
    Images
    winter is alot cheaper to get cert question is do you want to dive in 50 degree or lower water ?
    Lucky(AR)

Yes, you'll find the absolute best diving in the Midwest is in the dead of Winter. Visibility is astounding compared to summer, but the fish are fewer.
    <DIV>Just don't slip on the ice, I've nearly fallen doing that and the heavy gear does not help you a bit.</DIV>
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Barracuda Founding Member

Around here people go to the Homestead Crater for their certifications. 92 degrees at the surface, 96 degrees at the platform. I did my certification in February.
    <DIV>There are fewer open water classes, but I haven't seen any price differences. Like Larry said, I don't think it would make a difference. What seems to is the number of people going on tropical vacations, which is why people are getting certified.</DIV>

TadPole
    Personally, I was certified in early February. The price was the same from my lds, but for me the benefit was having a class with like 3 people in it. When my girlfriend got certified in late April, it was like 13 people in her class. Can't imaging that many people crammed into that small pool.

As far as temps, round these parts (Austin) certification dives are done in Aquarena, which has 70 degree water year round. And I believe many other shops from around the state go there as well for the temps.

Guppy Founding Member
    i took mine during the midwest winter (temps below 0, snow measured in feet) and it's the same price as it is now, when it's scorching hot outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information