Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of retractor do I need to clip to my BC?

Guppy

What type of retractor do I need to clip to my BC?

I have another noob question...
    on my Oceanic OceanPro FX BC, there is a small round metal hole in the pocket which is supposedly for a retractor. I have never used a restractor before so I am wondering... is there a special type of retractor that I need to get that will fit through the hole and stay there without cutting the cord then sewing it back together ? Or have I just got it completly wrong? Note that this is going to be connacted to the Aeris Compass listed on ST, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    The oceanic retractor fits in there. The end of the retractor can be removed, then you put the line through there and put the end back on. That puts the retractor in the bc, and just the line coming through the grommet.

It's the smaller one in this kit: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...ssoryValuePack

And we'll get it on the page as an individual item... and it comes with either the oceanic or aeris name on it - as they are the same company really.

Grouper
    Retractors are a GOOD thing to me, I use one to keep my spg close at hand, helps you in streamlining your dive profile, plus helps protect it from hitting anything on the bottom if you get too close to the bottom. Also use one on my slate/compass rig- there when you need it but out of the way when you don't.
    Proud dad of 4 and even prouder Pawpaw of 5 grandkids (future scuba divers if I get my way....)

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxScubaBear View Post
    Retractors are a GOOD thing to me, I use one to keep my spg close at hand, helps you in streamlining your dive profile, plus helps protect it from hitting anything on the bottom if you get too close to the bottom. Also use one on my slate/compass rig- there when you need it but out of the way when you don't.
    I prefer the retractors that have the quick-clips somewhere in between each end. That way, you can leave it set up to retract whenever you need a quick look (e.g., pulling your console out to check your air), but can unclip it (and, hence, not fight the pressure of the spring pulling it back) when you are navigating with your compass.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Just a question...

Are you sure you need a retractor? Have you talked with other local divers / divemasters about gear they use and recommend.

Some people later regret buying a retractor. Some people love theirs. What type of diving do you plan on doing over the next few years?

FD

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    Just a question...

Are you sure you need a retractor? Have you talked with other local divers / divemasters about gear they use and recommend.

Some people later regret buying a retractor. Some people love theirs. What type of diving do you plan on doing over the next few years?

FD
    FD is very diplomatic. Stay away form retractors! I thought they were the coolest thing out there. Then I got one, now it collects dust home.
    Tempt me not!
    I can do it myself!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    I originally had a rtractor on my console (Veo250, SPG, compass). In order to stream-line and prevent entanglement, the Veo250 and compass are on my wrist. The SPG is snapped-clipped to my left hip D-ring. Like Venio, the retractor gathers dust.

Wanna buy mine? I got it from ScubaToys.
    Last edited by Vercingetorix; 10-12-2007 at 16:31.
    rick

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    I think my retractor is still on my AVID bc. It's an AKONA brand. Niether gets used anymore.

FD

TadPole
    My retractor is on my girlfriend's BC. (Or it was until she broke it.) Meaning I don't use one anymore on my own rig. When I did use it, I found it was handy to have.

Having said that, everyone's opinions here will vary. So if you think you want to try one, then give it a go. If you find out later you don't like it, you're not out a ton of cash. There are two sizes: big and small. I used a small one for my original console. Eventually it wore out, but it lasted for about 90-100 dives. The larger size would probably do better for a console.

Grouper
    SCUBA retractors are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Everything is close at hand yet you are still streamlined
    Not stoned just slightly narc'd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information