Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server Switch Late Tonight

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod

Server Switch Late Tonight

Ok, we went through the one server switch without much problem... just lost a few uploaded photos... Our mistake on that one!

So we cleaned off that server and swapped it over to Unix, and tonight at about 11:00 pm central time, we should be switching over to that one.

It will require locking the server for about 10 minutes, then since the two servers are side by side - we can do a quick transfer of data. Then we have to point to the new server and Bingo! Back up faster and better!

The new server will have an IP address change on the net (for those of you who aren't net guru's that's the string of numbers like 162.45.2.89 - and then that gets changed to whatever.com)

So what that means to you, is depending on who your internet service provider is, it may take them 2 minutes, or 6 hours to update their records that our forum is now over at the new IP address. We will try to leave you a link incase you get lost...

To speed up the system, you will want to delete your cookies and your cache so your browser can find the forum once your internet provider has updated their records.

And simply closing your browser, and starting over in the morning will probably take care of it for 99% of the folks out there.

Sorry for any trouble this might cause, and we're asking you as soon as you can, use all the forum features you can think of, and let us know if anything is wrong by posting up in the Bugs and Problems area.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Thanks in advance for your understanding during this upgrade!

ST-Forum Mod
    Well, we made the switch... and by this morning, most everyone's internet service provider should be realizing we're on a new IP, and I see people are able to get back on. Some could do it right away, others, maybe still not for a bit...

Sorry about that, but we had to to do that to move the server for the final time.

So now we should be able to handle even more traffic, speed, etc.

Thanks!

Grouper
    Thanks mate....appreciate what all y'all do to keep us addicts going here....
    Proud dad of 4 and even prouder Pawpaw of 5 grandkids (future scuba divers if I get my way....)

Barracuda Founding Member
    You moved it to Linux, not Unix right? ... I saw the default Apache screen lastnight.

ST-Forum Mod
    Yea... actually redhat5 enterprise

Grouper
    Images
    Glad you're back up. I was suffering terrible board withdrawls last night !!!!

ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by BobArnold8265 View Post
    Yea, we took it down just before you got to your 250th post just to mess with you!

Barracuda Founding Member
    I deleted my cash a long time ago and never got it back! Good job on the switch and you didn't even have to create a Scubatoys2 alternate website.
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

ST-Forum Mod
    Thanks! We had a few little hiccups - took us a bit to rescue a few avatars that were wandering in cyber space - and the email needed a tweak this morning, but luckily, Tommy knows his stuff - and got us pretty much all squared away. We hope there are no other problems as he basically told me all this Linux stuff and typing is fun... but da' heck with me - he's going diving this weekend! It's running - don't break it!

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobArnold8265 View Post
    Yea, we took it down just before you got to your 250th post just to mess with you!
    I had a feeling that was the real reason !!!!!! Thanks for not letting the joke go to long and allowing me to get my 250th post today. Also, thank you for the gift certificate !!!!!!! It's very generous of you guys to do this. I can't think of many times that we can actually get rewarded for doing something fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information