Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which BC to get?

TadPole

Wink Which BC to get?

I am looking to buy my first BC. I have been mostly diving in the Caribbean but I want to start diving local lakes in Texas. I am 5'10''
    and about 180 lb, and wear a 3mm full wetsuit. I used mostly jacket
    style BC in the Caribbean. but tried a back inflate (Scubapro NightHawk)
    for classes in the local lakes.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    If you like the back inflate - I'm a big fan of the Zeagle Brigade.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.as...=ZeagleBrigade

Packs easy, very modular, upgradeable, and comfy! It's what I use!

Shark
    in the same category, I love my Tusa Xpert... similar deal as the Zeagle, but the Tusa stuff seems to fit me better than the Zeagle... 6' 190lbs...

Grouper
    Check out the Oceanic line of BC's. My two favorites for back-inflate are the Islander and the Excursion.
    Men of Principle since 1839.

Go UCF Knights!

TadPole
    My brief experience [now ~50 dives] has been with Buddy jacket type BCDs, a range of jacket types in resorts, and the Ralf Tech WR-1 wing last [bought with caution off an experienced diver on ebay] which has proven great in use [see my entry]. OK, it has way too much lift in theory at 56lb, but Hey, no need to fully inflate, and it actually takes 10 of my breaths to fully inflate actually, which doesn't seem a lot. My point - the wing compares really well to the jacket, I find - it's more stable, comfortable, feels better in the water, gives a far better profile, and there's no real drag from the size of the wing. The WR-1 is made by Custom Divers, and that's top quality. I love it and want more tme in the water - my guess is that many wings feel similar, and this one is great 'cos it fits snug, one size fits all - just pull on the D rings.
    Ross - my other choice before the WR-1 would've been towards the Zeagle Ranger LTD, but I bow to Larry's Brigade advice 'cos not seen it ........ what I hear is that the difference is in travel size and weight, and with that in mind, I can usually find an airline prepared to give a diver weight allowance, no problem!
    Incidentally, we're looking to try the Caribbean next year - like to hear your advice and experience.....

Grouper
    I started off renting a ScubaPro Nighthawk and really liked the back inflate. When the time came to purchase my own, I decided to go with the Zeagle Brigade and have been loving it ever since.
    I'd suggest trying on as many different BCD's as you can find and see which one feels the best. If the LDS will let you rent it for the weekend, that even better.
    Good luck in finding one you like.

Grouper Founding Member
    Gotta second Larry's suggestion on the Brigade if you are thinking back inflate. I love mine, and the thing is built like a tank..Very durable, and superior (IMHO) integrated weight system....
    Scubatoys - My LDS From 1,075 mi Away!!
    ZEAGLE Brigade/ZEAGLE Envoy Deluxe/ZEAGLE Octo-Z....Anybody seein' a pattern here???

Grouper
    If you are wanting a back inflate I think you are going to find a pretty heavy bias towards the Brigade! Ive considered buying one just to see what all the fuss is about.

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    If you like the back inflate - I'm a big fan of the Zeagle Brigade.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.as...=ZeagleBrigade

Packs easy, very modular, upgradeable, and comfy! It's what I use!
    Watch out, divermike49 ... that last line sucks you in and tricks you into spending lots of $$ on all kinds of scuba gear ...

Love my ST Brigade, which was recommended by ... tah-dah! ... Larry!

TadPole
    Hard for me to recommend anything other than my limited personal experience so I would say get a SP Knighthawk or BP/W. I've rented vest-style BCs and did not care for them (mostly did not like how they felt underwater). I loved my Knighthawk until I started using my BP/W. In the 6 years I've had my Knighthawk, I never had any problems with the BC. Good luck finding a BC!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information