Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMJ & Scuba - Any Solutions?

TMJ & Scuba - Any Solutions?

I have TMJ and yesterday I took my scouts to a free Discover Scuba class being offered by a not so LDS. During the free swim portion of the course I noticed that the left side of my jaw locked up while having the reg in my mouth. It wasn't painful but it was uncomfortable. Once we re-surfaced at the end of the course it took a good few minutes of pushing my jaw side ways to get it to unlock.

I am worried that when I am at much deeper depths I am going to have more issues with my jaw and I won't be able to resurface to correct it.

Does anyone else have TMJ and what do you do to prevent it from happening while diving??

Thanks,
    Clanggedin

Barracuda
    I'm not sure I have TJM, but if I open my mouth wide, my jaw pops. Not painful or anything. One suggestion would be a full face mask that didn;t require you to bite down on the regulator. Something like this would probably help if it was the biting down that caused the problem.

Grouper
    Well, my TMJ isn't that bad but I do get sore/etc.
    ONe thing I've been looking at is:
    http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...PRODUCT_ID=SCI

It gives you a smaller bite guard, and is similar to the mouth piece I use at night.

Barracuda
    A fitted mouth piece would require a lot less pressure to keep firmly in your mouth. I know that during a long cold dive I find my jaws are sore from biting down so hard. Probably from being a little cold, but I do have to relax my jaw muscles during a dive to keep them from hurting a bit.

Everytime I bite down my jaw pops then when I open my mouth back up the left side of my jaw will pop followed by the right side. It's not painful, but when I chew others around me can hear it popping. I have noticed that if I don't open my mouth up past the part where it pops before I go to sleep it will either lock up or be sore the next morning.

The SeaCure looks like it might be the ticket. I never thought about a full face mask, but they arep pretty pricey. I haven't OW certified yet.

Are the mouth pieces on regulators easy to remove so if I bought one that fit the regs used at the LDS I could use it when I take the course??

If the reg mouth pieces aren't easily removable, should I invest in a reg now with this bite guard on it or deal with my jaw locking until I complete my OW?

Barracuda
    They are pretty easy to remove. Just clip the zip tie and pull it off. Put on a new mouthpiece and secure it with another zip tie. You might want to talk to he LDS before doing this though. It is their gear and they may not appreciate somone changing it, not matter how easily it can be put back to its original state.

And yes, full face masks are pretty pricey when compared to other masks, but if it is the only way you can dive comfortably it might just be worth the investment.

Barracuda Founding Member
    There are FFMs that cost a lot less than some others. Of course you need to use your own reg and they don't have comms but it isn't a huge investment. PM Larry or Joe and ask them about it.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper Founding Member
    My wife has TMJ syndrome and dives with the seacure moldable mouthpiece. It makes diving much easier for her and she only occasionally has pain or a headache from it. It's not toally ideal, but it's the best solution that we could come up with.

Shane

Barracuda
    Yeah definately. You can get one by Cressi Sub for $100 or less. This is the one I was looking at. Price is not that much more that a regualr mask.

http://cressisubusa.com/easyStore/Sc...ProdottiID=401

I'm sure other companies make an economical full face mask as well.

Guppy
    Images
    My wife also has TMJ. We both use seacure mouthpieces and love them. However, be aware that there are different sizes designed for different regulators so if you rent your gear there might be problems if you use different make reg sets from time to time. If you're going to continue diving, I'd recommend having your own gear. Having and using gear which you are familiar and comfortable with can help you be a safer diver and cuts down on task loading.
    Full face masks have their own sets of challenges and I've heard about problems with the cheaper ones. Also training is needed to learn to deal with things like OAR, free flow, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information