Thread: Travel Bag for Diving

Guppy

Travel Bag for Diving

hi guys.. i know this has been asked before but just wondering what you guys all use when you go on dive trips?
    i'm trying to decide whether it is worth some xtra dosh to buy a travel bag that is designed for scuba gear.. or jus get a normal suitcase/pull-along jig and a separate regulator bag/fin bag.

the one im deciding about is an iQ company 180Lt roller bag ( i like the lil fishies - yes i cant get enough of them)

also does anyone know if its easier/ better if my buddy and i both share a bag with all our gear in it or do the airlines (namely virgin/jetstar for the Aust ppl) not care about whether its sports gear in one bag/2 and will still count it as a 5kg bag?? i will ask virgin anyway but would like to know if anyone has experienced this..

thx
    divin geek..

Shark Founding Member
    You definitely don't need a special bag for your gear. A regular rolling suitcase will work fine and won't identify your contents as something interesting to steal.

All the airlines I fly don't care what's in the bag they just care about the weight.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    You definitely don't need a special bag for your gear. A regular rolling suitcase will work fine and won't identify your contents as something interesting to steal.

All the airlines I fly don't care what's in the bag they just care about the weight.
    I agree, one time my car get smashed because my navigator was still hooked up on my dash board. I dont want this to happen with me again by displaying my equipment on a meshed bag bringing it in and out of your car.

Shark
    be careful where you have a dive flag ie luggage tag. thieves know that dive equipment is valuable
    God is good, no matter what!!

Grouper
    I use a Costco Kirkland brand roll on duffel bag in a carry on size. It's made of ballistic nylon so it's really rugged, but it also doesn't scream 'dive bag please steal me'.

Grouper
    im in the air force i bought a fligh thelmet bag for regs, a b-4 bag for rest its heavy duty canvas

Grouper
    Images
    Roller duffle bags with a rigid bottom - I bought one at Walmart for $30 that works just fine....
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

yes, roller duffle with a rigid bottom is what we've found works best for air travel. No need for special dive luggage. Also no reason for a special fin bag, not that I've ever seen one? Just make sure whatever you get is long enough for your fins, most bags will be. Our regs we put in our regular carryon.

I think it's best not to try and cram 2 sets of gear in one bag, you will be bumping against weight limits and most airlines don't care what's in there. Let each person have their own bag and put clothes in there too, they can act as cushioning.

Grouper
    I use a mares technomad 135. Nothing flashy just a nice roller suitcase with backpack straps. It is the perfect size to fit everything inside.

TadPole

The right luggage

I just got back from a month of South Pacific diving and all three bags were trashed by Continental.

Here is the info I learned the hard way.

Get an American Express Card. Then get their Baggage Protection Insurance. Its like $12 no deductible $2,000 carry on & $1,000 checked and it covers damage and lost luggage or trip interruption (save receipts) & they gave me three new bags.

Buy the largest size American Tourister at an outlet store mine cost $112 or buy on sale at Macy's with coupons or a Macy's card. My wife got hers for $60 with the discounts. Save the receipts when the airline trashes them. Make sure you get the skate board great wheels and the new light weight luggage.

One for your gear and one for clothes if it is a long trip. Inside a soft sided large back pack for if you have to go to a small island where weight is a factor. Leave the big bag and stuff your stuff in the soft sided to save 10lbs like I did going to Bikini and save $50 in wt fees. Little Cayman was charging heavy too. Using a dedicated dive bag is like hanging a sign, "STEAL ME PLEASE!"

If it doesn't look like a dive bag all the better! Get the longest carry on bag you can find I have one that zips out at both ends. I carry my BC, reg, computers, mask and my 1.5mm suit. Carry on the most expensive stuff that someone would want to steal or you don't want lost or crushed.

That's my layout I have used on 30+-islands over the last 20-years.

Thread Information