Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excuses, excuses... I mean well-thought out reasons.

Guppy

Excuses, excuses... I mean well-thought out reasons.

So, I'm one weekend away from being handed a piece of paper that says I can dive. My OW cert dives will be done next weekend, and I'm stuck with a nagging problem that I have yet to resolve:

How do I convince my wife that I need to buy my own gear? What reasoning can I employ? Or is she right?

She says I should go on at least 5 or 10 dives with rental gear first, but the rental fees for that would go an awful long way towards my first set-up. I do plan on a couple dives with rental gear, but not 5 or 10.

I guess it would also help to know that this isn't a money issue - we pool all of our resources and each get identical "allowances," and the gear would come from my "allowance." So I'm really just up against the "voice of reason" argument. To be fair, it might also help to know that I am in the habit of buying stuff that I'm excited about, but that doesn't get used much afterward. But this time is different! I'm in love!

Guppy
    1) The quality of rental gear can be questionable. As this is truly life-support equipment, I would rather take better care of my well-being by having gear I can count on rather than pray to the gods of fate!

2) Surely the incremental costs of rental equipment, when compared to the cost of ownership neglects any waiting period.

3) You never know how well rental gear is cleaned (if it is actually cleaned at all)! For my own well-being and personal health and safety, I really should invest in some of my own equipment.

4) Please!

Shark
    Your wife's reasoning is sound. You'll save more in the long run by trying out a bunch of different rental gear and buying stuff you like for a reason, than by buying ASAP so as to avoid rental fees and then buying replacement gear when you realize you aren't totally happy with your purchases. Personally, I don't think you can make an informed judgement about gear until you have 5-10 dives under your belt anyhow.

Rent, and rent different gear each time, so you can figure out what you like. Also, some shops will let you apply a percentage of your rental fees to a future purchase. It's worth asking about.
    Matt Silvia

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I think one of the biggest issues you're going to run into is that most dive shops won't just pull something off the rack that you want to try and let you just go diving somewhere with it. At that point, it's a used item. The few times I've rented, there was no selection...you got what they had in their rental stock, which was typically just one brand.

The only reason I might suggest renting is to determine whether you want a jacket-style, rear-inflate, or bp/w bc. I'm guessing you already have mask/fins/snorkel. Personally, I would just take all of the recommendations people have made on this forum and get new stuff. Around here, renting a setup for the weekend typically runs $50+. It won't take many rentals to surpass the cost of new equipment.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Economics. Lets say your rent BC, Reg, gauge for $30 each trip. Now for ten trips thats $300. Thats a nice start on your gear. Now what if it costs you $40 each time thats $400.

Now if you could rent different BC's, Regs. and computers each time I would try the different gear and find what you like. Now if your always get the some gear whats the point.

Now if this is a hobby that you may start and then not really get into then rent your gear.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Just tell her you're going to give her a big kiss when you get out of the water... Of course, I don't know who used this reg before me...

Not the best argument... but it might work!

Best excuse for your own reg:

After diving when you see her again and kiss her, will it bother her if the last guy to use it before you vomited through the rental reg?

Larry, I guess great minds think alike...lol

Guppy
    Good reasoning and good advice. I think I'll use a combination of the two. Definitely a good argument to try out the different kinds of gear before I buy it. But also some great excuses...I mean reasons...for when I decide to buy (which will undoubtedly before I've done 10 rentals).

I think the hardest part is going to be finding the rental selection to be able to try different gear. When I rented the gear for the OW dives, regulator selection wasn't even mentioned (I reserved the gear before even starting the class, so I really didn't know what I was doing anyway). I'll definitely have to dig into it a bit though.

Grouper
    Images
    ordinarily, I am sort who prefers to have my own gear. of course, that means selecting the ideal set up the first time which is a most difficult task.
    however, you have the very good fortune of being able to talk with Larry or Joe and detail the type of diving you will be doing, what you like and/or dislike and through their professional expertise, will significantly increase your odds of selecting the right gear.
    I would not use rental gear for a number of reasons. Having your own offers the advantages of familiarity, feeling confident and comfortable because it will fit, knowing what you are using has been well taken care of, and is exactly what you picked.
    Experience has taught me that women are almost always right but experience has also taught me that I rarely, if ever, listent to them and if you are like me, why start now?
    Last edited by CaribbeanDiver; 10-22-2007 at 20:45.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by tbuckalew View Post
    1) The quality of rental gear can be questionable. As this is truly life-support equipment, I would rather take better care of my well-being by having gear I can count on rather than pray to the gods of fate!

2) Surely the incremental costs of rental equipment, when compared to the cost of ownership neglects any waiting period.

3) You never know how well rental gear is cleaned (if it is actually cleaned at all)! For my own well-being and personal health and safety, I really should invest in some of my own equipment.

4) Please!
    I'd go with #4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information