Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Begginer Setup

TadPole

Begginer Setup

Hi guys, I have been a certified diver for 3 years but just recently moved to florida where I have the opportunity to dive more. Can anyone please recommend a good setup for purchasing my first set of equipment, I am tired of renting. Thanks

Barracuda Founding Member
    I purchased high end because I want to move into tech in the future. However, if your used to renting, and just want to decrease the costs, go with one of the packages that ST puts together. PM Larry or Joe for advice.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Shark
    well, first, jacket or back inflate?

how serious do you plan on being?

There are plenty of jacket bc's around $200 - $250, and some back inflates starting for not a lot more...

I, personally, would spend a tad more and get something nicer, with a few more features, but thats entirely up to your needs...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Guppy
    Back plate and wing (BP/W) is my recommendation. You'll never look back.

Grouper
    I have been certified since 1979 but have not done much diving over the years because of how expensive the equipment used to be. Since the internet came along, there is market competition and prices of good equipment have really come down. I am also looking to replace some of my old equipment and am considering one of the less expensive packages ST offers (specifically the Dacor Talon packages). I don't really need all the latest bells and whistles as I dive more for relaxation than all the technical stuff. I have been told by many that any of the packages ST offers are good. It just depends on how many options you want. Even the owner of a Local Dive Shop told me there is really no "bad" equipment anymore, (has something to do with liability purposes). That being said, my thoughts are to start out with something inexpensive and as you continue to dive, the equipment can be upgraded and the original items can become your "back up" gear that might save the day if something fails while you are out at a dive site. I don't think too many divers on these boards only have one set of gear. Buying new stuff seems to be an addiction.

Think of buying equipment just like buying a vehicle. Some will tell you to get all the options, bells and whistles. Just remember, an inexpensive compact car will take you to the same places as someone else's $70,000 Mercedes. It will just cost you less to get there.

Just decide what you want to get out of diving and then and pick some equipment to match your life style. Now, if I lived somewhere I could dive every day like Florida.......
    In the famous words of Captain Ron, "If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"

Barracuda Founding Member
    Since you have been renting did you find any bcds and regs you liked? If you are interested I was in Pompano and rented a "semi"-bp/w from fillexpress.com before jumping into bp/w fully.

Shark
    i have nothing against the bp/w setup... that being said, not everyone needs it... I get along just fine with whatever I use, preferring a back inflate bc... simple, effective... sometimes its better to be a better diver than try to compensate with better equipment...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Grouper Founding Member
    I think this would be an awesome package especially for the price...

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...ZeagleTusaPack

Now what I did being a mostly warm water rec diver was went with the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe because the environmental seal wasn't that important to me...I also opted for the Octo-Z because I like the combo setup..... Just can't go wrong with Zeagle for quality/warranty/customer service.......JMHO
    Scubatoys - My LDS From 1,075 mi Away!!
    ZEAGLE Brigade/ZEAGLE Envoy Deluxe/ZEAGLE Octo-Z....Anybody seein' a pattern here???

Shark Founding Member
    I agree that a BP/W isn't for everyone, just like one brand or type of BC isn't for everyone. Some people prefer the jacket style, some prefer back inflate, and others like the BP/W, but to say "you'll never look back" once you try a BP/W is simply untrue. I tried one and immediately looked back to a back-inflate BC.

I agree that you need to narrow down your choices a little before anyone can really recommend some gear for you to consider.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Grouper
    Images
    This is really a tough question to answer. Too many choices, and too many different types of divers.

My personal advice on diving equipment: Buy top tier equipment and you won't be disappointed, and you (hopefully) won't be buying a replacement in a couple years.

That said:

If you are an occational recreational diver, just wanting some good gear, but on a budget: Definitely check out a ST package. Great equipment, at a good price.

If you are/want to be an avid diver OR you don't want your equipment to limit you in the future OR only the best will do:

You may have to buy it piece by piece, because we are talking serious $$ now. All of this is my personal opinion, subject to extensive disagreement from others. Still, I hope it is of some use to you.

Regs:
    ScubaPro, Apex, Atomic, Zeagle, Posiedon....all get good marks. All have a following in the Tech community.

BC:
    Make a well informed decision on jacket vs. back inflate vs. Back Plate and Wing. Lots of folks like jacket style, and lots of folks wish they had just started with BP/W. Lots of good brands to choose from. ST has Zeagle, Oxycheq and Dive Rite for BP/W style.

Fins:
    Split vs. Paddle. See if your LDS will let you check out a couple styles. My opinion is that this is an area that you don't have to go top tier. Cheaper fins don't necessarily mean uncomfortable or low power. You can spend a whole lot on fins, for not much added benefit. $125 should get you all the beginner fin you need.

Mask:
    It just needs to fit your face and not leak. Put it on your face, inhale slightly with your nose. If it sticks on easily, that is is good start. then (while still inhaling) try to push it off your face. The bigger and more satisfying the "pop", the better the fit.

Snorkel:
    get the cheapest thing on the rack that isn't made of cardboard. No bells or whistles.

SPG/Console:
    Lots of good stuff out there. Anything from a well established manufacturer would be fine.

---I could go on with the other equip, but this is probably a good start. Let me know if you want further ranting from me.

-BW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information