Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what has your favorite night dive been?

Barracuda Founding Member

So what has your favorite night dive been?

Noticed this forum was here and empty so I thought I'd make a thread.

I've only done night dives in a lake to date and have loved them. Something different? Yea. But also it's fun to sneak up on the sleeping fish and for some reason everything looks even cooler in the dark. That and there's nothing more relaxing than floating topside in a calm lake looking up at the stars in the complete dark.

So what type of night dives have you guys done? Any particular reason you went on the dive? (ie: some specific fish activity or something?). I'd like to do more night dives and am looking for some ideas.

Thumbs up

CocoView Resort in Roatan has the best night dives, but then again, other than lake night dives, that's the only place I've done night dives, lol. At least at CocoView you can decide whether you want to go down the Wall or to the Prince Albert. You can turn off your light & see all the Phosopherus (sp?) & yes, you can still sneak up on sleeping fish. The best part of the night dives for me was seeing octopus. I'd never seen one before & my 3rd night dive ever I saw 2!!! One great big one & a smaller one. It's cool how they change colors!

Grouper Founding Member
    Best night dive was at Paradise Reef, Cozumel, Mexico in 1981 and again in 2005.
    RonC.

Guppy Founding Member
    I did a dusk and a night dive yesterday in Jupiter, FL. It was so beautiful. The life down there was amazing and the reef was so colourful. I can't wait to go again!

Grouper
    My best night dive so far is my only night dive so far. :P
    Was like spotlighting while doing scuba and i loved it.
    Did it during my AOW a couple of weeks ago.

Jas.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Puerto Vallarta in late October.

The amount of phosphorescence in the water was beyond belief. Who needs drugs?

We went into a small 20' clearing ringed by boulders, linked arms, and shut off our lights. Once our eyes adjusted, we realized the gentle surge was producing a spectacular light show against the boulders in front of us every time it washed against them. Simply stunning. I'll never forget when I first entered at the surface, either, and glanced down to see massive whorls of glowy sparks spinning off my fin tips as I finned to stay at the surface.

I get misty-eyed just thinking about it. LOL

Barracuda
    Mid August 2004, Gulf of Mexico The Flower Gardens for a coral spawning trip. I have some pics that my bunk mate/insta buddy took. I will upload them here later this week.

Grouper
    I prefer night dives, in fact I'd like to to 2 night dives all week if they would let me. I think my most spectacular ones were in Belize. We were on the Belize Aggressor and did every night dive. At the beginning of the week the rest of the boat decided to have a few drinks at dinner and skip the night dives. After our 3rd night in a row of seeing multiple octopus, squid, 5' barracudas, turtles, sea horses, sharks and free swimming eels they finally decided to join us. It seemed like every night the dive got better and better.

harpers dock in port orchard pnw

Barracuda Founding Member
    Cozumel, Delila Reef. A 15 minute lightening storm passed overhead during the dive. Some of the flashes lit things up for 3 to 5 seconds.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information